Reader, Department of Nutrition, Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK.
Current research involves the investigation of phytochemical metabolism and bioactivity following human feeding interventions and in cultured vascular and inflammatory cells. Current Lab group includes 3 PhD and 1 MSc student. Research group is located in the Metabolite & Biomarker Analytics Suite in the Norwich Medical School and houses high performance liquid chromatographers and mass spectrometers and accompanying clinical and cell culture facilities. Core funding is supported primarily by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC).
Selected Recent Publications
1. Phenolic metabolites of anthocyanins modulate mechanisms of endothelial function. Michael Edwards, Charles Czank, Gary M. Woodward, Aedín Cassidy, Colin D. Kay. In: Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2015 (in press; DOI 10.1021/jf5041993).
2. Methods for isolating, identifying and quantifying anthocyanin metabolites in clinical samples. de Ferrars, Rachel M; Czank, Charles; Saha, Shikha; Needs, Paul W; Zhang, Qingzhi; Raheem, K Saki; Kroon, Paul A; Kay, Colin D. In: Analytical Chemistry, Vol. 86, No. 20, 21.10.2014, p. 10052–10058.
3. The pharmacokinetics of anthocyanins and their metabolites in humans. De Ferrars, R M; Czank, C; Zhang, Q; Botting, N P; Kroon, P A; Cassidy, A; Kay, C D. In: British Journal of Pharmacology, Vol. 171, No. 13, 01.07.2014, p. 3268-3282.
4. Phenolic metabolites of anthocyanins following a dietary intervention study in post-menopausal women. de Ferrars, Rachel M; Cassidy, Aedín; Curtis, Peter; Kay, Colin D. In: Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, Vol. 58, No. 3, 01.03.2014, p. 490-502.
5. Human metabolism and elimination of the anthocyanin, cyanidin-3-glucoside: a 13C-tracer study. Czank, Charles; Cassidy, Aedin; Zhang, Q.; Morrison, Derek; Preston, T.; Kroon, Paul; Botting, N. P.; Kay, Colin. In: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 97, No. 5, 05.2013, p. 995-1003.