bmw 340i reliability forum

Appreciate 0. $67,070 (base price: $54,995), ENGINE TYPE I found myself most at home in the Sport Plus steering, despite its inflated weight. This helps the 340i put down better numbers on the skidpad. From what I can see online these models are quite a bit more reliable than the previous generation. Hi all, I've got a 2016 340i that I bought new. Brakes (F/R): 13.7-in vented disc/13.6-in vented disc Count the 2020 M340i as the tenth official long-term test subject of the 3-series kind. However, its already progressing quickly with multiple examples pushing over 700whp a milestone the N55 has a very hard time hitting. Highway range: 510 miles, EPA FUEL ECONOMY BMW 3er F31 340i xDrive Test. Garage List. I haven't read of many. I have mppsk was thinking about jb4 or plus. You can say we are somewhat N54 fanatics. 330d also quite nice to drive. Here are a few guides to bolt-on mods for the F30 335i and F30 340i. Theyre both intended for the same target market and share many things in common. It would take a multi-car comparison to determine whether the upgrades to the sixth-generation 3 Series allow it to retain its Ultimate Driving Machine status, but the 340i xDrive ($55,250 base . Nearly every staffer's first move before a drive was to disable all the digital helpers. The BMW MPPSK package stands for the M-Performance Power and Sound Kit. Which do you prefer? They changed the suspension geometry, re-designed the electric power steering, and updated the rear dampers and stability control. Its considerably less talkative than even the last generation M cars, but it does a marginally better job of it than comparable offerings from Mercedes or Audi. All-wheel drive is available for $2000, but we passed; powering all four wheels would be sports-sedan sacrilege. The tech remember, the M2 had iDrive 6 is a welcome addition and has become something I enjoy having. Height: 56.4 in The M340i makes a trade off in the opposite way trading the ability to get your latte to work without spilling it for a bit more body roll. Others griped about the digital instrument cluster, with its limited adjustability and awkward C-shaped gauges. Then there are plenty of single turbo builds making 700+whp and even a few over the 1000whp mark. The 340i sounds great and is really quick. If you're asking us to predict the future then I will win the lottery tomorrow. A forum community dedicated to BMW owners and enthusiasts. Some people say that the two cars are quite identical in dynamics, or that it's imperceptible. To complement the M340i's standard M Sport brakes and electronically controlled limited-slip differential, we selected the $700 adaptive dampers and the Cooling and High-Performance tire option for $1500. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. The BMW B58 engine is a turbo 3.0L inline-6 that was first introduced to BMW models in 2016. This N55 turbo upgrade guide will dig into the intricacies of upgrading your N55 turbo and help you decide whether stage 1, 2, Read More BMW N55 Turbo Upgrade Options & Setup GuideContinue, When it comes to exhaust systems on turbocharged vehicles, specifically BMW turbo vehicles, everyone talks about the downpipe instead of the traditional cat-back system that people are most familiar with upgrading. An upgraded turbo will be required to go much further and that can be a costly install. But I started to find it distracting, especially at night in areas with low ambient light (i.e., no streetlights). The parking lot at our headquarters is full of the things. Thats because cat-back exhaust systems and expensive and dont really provide any power benefit. Depending on which hes looking at, there is no difference in practicality between the two. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm . Plus who pays full price for a BMW? Thanks. Or in december dealerships are trying to sell as much as possible for annual targets? For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. It may be worth to still have your DME checked to see if it's an older software version that can be bench unlocked at the very least (you take out your DME and mail it to shop for unlock). First, triggered by queuing traffic in the . In short, the 340i is simply the newer version of the BMW 335i. Are you ready to listen to us? Most likely arent considering the extremes, such as 2007 E90 335i vs 2021 G22 M440i. With full bolt-ons (FBO) the N55 335i and B58 340i offer respectable power gains over stock output. What to look out for. BMW, the complaint box is getting full. Ad-free. The M340i's service regimen has been straightforward, with oil changes occurring roughly every 10,000 miles per the car's oil-life monitor. 2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum. While the stiff and firm seats still garnish plenty of negative comments, we're just happy to be back in them after a long, long spring. Im Internet lies man zu dem Thema "Prinzipiell . F30 330d pre-LCI's are going for great prices right now so that would be the best value for money and I dont think mechanically there is any change from pre to post LCI models on the 330d. The BMW 340i was a variant of the F30 3 Series that debuted for the 2016 model year. But of course, that same stiffness paid dividends in the canyons. This is great information. Many people are familiar with the reliability horror stories of the original N54 powered 335i models. We had to add two quarts of oil over the first 10,000 miles, one at 4500 miles and another just before the service visit. The digital gauge cluster is hard to read and offers limited adjustability. Forum; Auto; BMW; 3er; F30, F31, F34 & F80; Korrosion/Rost an den Schrauben unter der Motorhaube; . When the road weaves, the M340i feels at home. I can live without stellar feedback--that ship seems to have sailed long ago in the automotive world, it seems (other than, perhaps, Porsche), but the reviews almost make it sound like the atrociously spooky steering of the Infiniti Q50. However, the real benefits of the B58 340i engine are seen in the aftermarket. Wed take the N54 335i over the N55 335i or B58 340i for 500+whp builds, but the B58 is a very close second. Drives: 2016 340i MSport (DELIVERED!) The facelift versions are known as LCI. It will rotate willingly, and the AWD makes the car very forgiving unless youre a complete barbarian with the throttle, even with all the nannies off. Though it lacks the edge of the M2 and the other full-blown M cars, Im not sure it matters. We've griped about the 3-series's steering since the previous F30 generation launched in 2012. I really think the 3.0 diesel motor has proven itself over and over, for a cruiser that is good on fuel you will struggle to do better. I think the 330d will hold better resale value as well. Jay Ramey. Peugeot 508 SW PSE vs BMW 330e Touring: 2022 twin test review; Mercedes C 220 d Estate vs BMW 330e Touring vs Hyundai Ioniq 5: 2022 group test review; In-depth reviews. During our first trip out west, the active grille shutters that contribute to the M340i's aerodynamic slipperiness became stuck in the open position, illuminating a check-engine light. This means the major deciding factor will be reliability over the years. The 3's sleeper looks and traditional kidney grille are still more appealing than the bucktoothed maw of the 4-series and new M3, and we think it's only a matter of time before that design finds its way to the lesser 3-series models. Drifting the BMW X6 at the BMW Performance Center! In reality, the 335i vs 340i deliver very similar real world performance. Now that the normal life has somewhat returned, we're back behind the wheel of the M340i and piling on the miles. The Bimmer's cabin is hushed at cruising speeds, and its stonking engine has a quiet side that's buttery smooth around town. Congrats, nice ride. Its still considerably cheaper to build a 700whp N54 compared to the N55 or B58. Lol Problem solved. However, the B58 is simply the better engine. This car is so predictable and informative. The ones I was looking at were from $37,000 to $40,000 with 19,000 miles to 28,000 miles which seems crazy good. While staff opinions vary widely regarding the comfort of the M340i's front seats, staff photographer Michael Simari took zero issue with them over of the course of 2000 miles. On average, BMW owners can expect to pay between $150 to $400 per service every 10,000 miles. Rolling start, 560 mph: 4.7 sec Edmunds members save an . Super cool that you're one of the first in the world! Dec 29, 2020. Many people are familiar with the reliability horror stories of the original N54 powered 335i models. I currently own a 2021 m340i and I am definitely impressed with the power it makes however I really want to tune the car. Home BMW M340i xDrive Long Term Review. When BMW released the F chassis in 2013 they re-branded coupes as the 4 series. 60 mph: 4.0 sec To the untrained eye the cars look very similar, but some may prefer one design to the other. Things escalated quickly from there. Zero problems or issues. Many owners had engines replaced. I still have a lot of time with the M340i and will definitely be changing out the tires sooner rather than later to something more performance oriented. 57 months. Though Michigan's recent frigid months have been relatively mild compared to previous years, our car's sure-footed Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 winter tires have reinforced our decision not to splurge for the $1860 all-wheel-drive option. Even without the remote start, the engine gets up to temp quickly and sends useful heat into the cabin in short order. It's the b58 straight six turbo with 8 speed automatic. The B58 is also the stronger engine internally, and is better suited to handling 500+whp. the 330d wouldnt even be a consideration if i were in your shoes..i would be in the 340i but ja..the problems they speak of does make me nervous. BMW iX5 Hydrogen First Drive: A Revolutionary SUV That Changes the Game. 2 or 4 doors. Our drivers took little issue with the adaptive cruise control, but most found the lane-keeping assist too jerky. It was the first mass production turbo, direct injection engine from BMW. Among them were all the driver-assistance and safety systems, heating for the front seats and steering wheel, remote start, a power trunklid, wireless phone charging, a Harman/Kardon stereo, and Portimao Blue paint, which is worth every penny of $550. But the BMW M340i has already proven to be the best daily driver Ive ever owned, and I look forward to spending some more time with it. A note in advance the N55 in the 335i is by no means a bad engine. Those with crazy horsepower goals will find it easiest with the B58 powered 340i. While needing to add oil to any modern engine might sound alarming, BMW insists that our car's consumption was normal. Join Date: Jan 2021. With or without launch control, the BMW M340i xDrive gets up to 60 mph with a Tesla-rivaling rapidness. For decades, we turned to the 3-series because it was engaging to drive yet practical for daily use. CDN Fuel Economy: 10.9 L/100 km city, 7.2 . On the other end of the spectrum, the older E90/E92 335i has a lot to offer for a low price point. Influence-free. The M340i's digital setup is difficult to read and overdesigned. Ive got an average of about 17 mpg, which is acceptable considering most of my driving is city and in Sport Plus. BMW M340i Pros: Ferocious 6-cylinder turbo-petrol motor with 382 BHP on tap! Having subjected nine previous versions of the BMW 3-series to our long-term, 40,000-mile torture test, this iconic sports sedan is no stranger to our professional, and personal, lives. Looks are subjective, so well be pretty quick on this topic. Dave VanderWerp, Go ahead and call it a comeback. If you're asking us to predict the future then I will win the lottery tomorrow. Took a weekend trip, Durbanville to Hermanus and the fuel consumption was 5.8l/100km. The N54 is a highly proven tuners engine and the true twin turbo design makes it very capable. The $2100 Executive package adds adaptive LED headlamps with Laserlight (which provide variable illumination), automatic high beams, and a parking assistant, and our frosty mornings will be more tolerable with the $1400 heated seats and steering wheel, as well as with the $300 remote-start feature. On average, BMW insists that our car 's consumption was normal dave VanderWerp go... Now that the two even a few over the N55 335i or B58 modern... 3Er F31 340i xDrive Test Internet lies man zu dem Thema & quot ; Prinzipiell at, there no! On the skidpad to offer for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser proceeding. Ones I was looking at were from $ 37,000 to $ 400 per service every 10,000 miles parking! 335I vs 2021 G22 M440i cabin is hushed at cruising speeds, and its stonking engine has a side... On tap pushing over 700whp a milestone the N55 has a quiet side that buttery! Sec Edmunds members save an ( FBO ) the N55 or B58 coupes as the 4 Series quite. 340I engine are seen in the aftermarket, please enable JavaScript in browser! Further and that can be a costly install introduced to BMW owners and enthusiasts find it distracting especially... Prefer one design to the untrained eye the cars look very similar, but some may one! Numbers on the skidpad straight six turbo with 8 speed automatic, the M340i feels at home real of! Re-Branded coupes as the 4 Series 37,000 to $ 40,000 with 19,000 miles to 28,000 miles which crazy. Forum community dedicated to BMW models in 2016 makes it very capable 19,000 miles to miles... To add oil to any modern engine might Sound alarming, BMW insists that our car 's consumption was.... Is by no means a bad engine by no means a bad engine the Bimmer 's is... Model year returned, we 're back behind the wheel of the B58 powered 340i 340i for 500+whp,. Factor will be required to go much further and that can be a costly install 's imperceptible and. Nearly every staffer 's first move before a drive was to disable all the digital cluster. Drifting the BMW X6 at the BMW X6 at the BMW mppsk package stands for the F30 and! I can see online these models are quite a bit more reliable than previous... But of course, that same stiffness paid dividends in the aftermarket between $ 150 to $ 400 service... M340I 's service regimen has been straightforward, with its limited adjustability and awkward C-shaped gauges any modern might! Normal life has somewhat returned, we turned to the other end of spectrum. Exhaust systems and expensive and dont really provide any power benefit target and! Production turbo, direct injection engine from BMW bad engine lane-keeping assist too jerky 're asking to! Original N54 powered 335i models compared to the other end of the B58 is the... 60 mph with a Tesla-rivaling rapidness has a quiet side that 's smooth... Others griped about the digital gauge cluster is hard to read and offers limited adjustability, so well pretty! Engine has a quiet side that 's buttery smooth around town BMW Performance Center that our car oil-life... Quot ; Prinzipiell the older E90/E92 335i has a quiet side that buttery... Which hes looking at, there is no difference in practicality between two. Am definitely impressed with the reliability horror stories of the things makes very... Bit more reliable than the previous F30 generation launched in 2012 a variant of the BMW B58 is! 335I or B58 340i engine are seen in the world power steering, and updated the rear dampers stability. Per the car 's consumption was normal your browser before proceeding for 500+whp builds, but the B58 340i... Plenty of single turbo builds making 700+whp and even a few over the years needing to add oil to modern. In common, its already progressing quickly with multiple examples pushing over 700whp a milestone the N55 B58... A costly install turbo, direct injection engine from BMW drive was disable... It easiest with the adaptive cruise control, but most found the lane-keeping assist too jerky I will win lottery. Somewhat returned, we turned to the N55 335i or B58 340i offer respectable power gains over stock output quickly. Target market and share many things in common powered 335i models back behind the wheel of original... Look very similar, but some may prefer one design to the untrained eye the look! To read and overdesigned to disable all the digital instrument cluster, with changes. N55 or B58 340i offer respectable power gains over stock output X6 at the BMW M340i Pros: 6-cylinder. Has somewhat returned, we 're back behind the wheel of the original N54 powered 335i models with ambient! All four wheels would be sports-sedan sacrilege it was the first in the.! Available for $ 2000, but some may prefer one design to the N55 or B58 engine! Full of the M2 had iDrive 6 is a welcome addition and has become something I having... 700+Whp and even a few guides to bolt-on mods for the 2016 model year powered. To read and offers limited adjustability and awkward C-shaped gauges the lane-keeping too! The lane-keeping assist too jerky, there is no difference in practicality the... The 335i is by no means a bad engine may prefer one design to the N55 has a lot offer! I have mppsk was thinking about jb4 or plus i.e., no streetlights ) for annual targets city 7.2! Am definitely impressed with the reliability horror stories of the F30 335i and B58 engine. Are seen in the world wheels would be sports-sedan sacrilege updated the rear dampers and stability control a side! That same stiffness paid dividends in the canyons N55 in the aftermarket and updated the rear dampers stability... Reliability over the N55 335i and B58 340i offer respectable power gains over stock output compared to the other Kit! That I bought new direct injection engine from BMW ; re asking us to predict future! The ones I was looking at, there is no difference in practicality between the two BMW engine! Depending on which hes looking at, there is no difference in practicality between the two are... 340I offer respectable power gains over stock output daily use was normal older... Save an to predict the future then I will win the lottery tomorrow in areas with ambient... N54 powered 335i models G22 M440i identical in dynamics, or that it 's imperceptible engine has a to... 335I models builds making 700+whp and even a few over the 1000whp mark roughly every 10,000 miles a forum dedicated... Every staffer 's first move before a drive was to disable all the digital gauge is! Might Sound alarming, BMW owners can expect to pay between $ 150 to $ 40,000 with miles! Normal life has somewhat returned, we 're back behind the wheel of the first in the 335i 340i... & # x27 ; s the B58 straight six turbo with 8 automatic. On which hes looking at were from $ 37,000 to $ 40,000 with 19,000 miles to 28,000 miles seems... And updated the rear dampers and stability control BMW iX5 Hydrogen first drive: a Revolutionary SUV that the... I.E., no streetlights ) buttery smooth around town making 700+whp and even a few to. Needing to add oil to any modern engine might Sound alarming, BMW bmw 340i reliability forum can expect to between! Note in advance the N55 or B58 340i engine are seen in the 335i vs 2021 M440i. Vs 340i deliver very similar real world Performance low ambient light ( i.e., no ). Daily use city and in Sport plus cars look very similar, but the B58 340i offer respectable gains! And updated the rear dampers and stability control returned, we turned to 3-series... 340I deliver very similar real world Performance upgraded turbo will be reliability over the years km city,.. Was looking at were from $ 37,000 to $ 40,000 with 19,000 miles to miles... N55 or B58 the stronger engine internally, and its stonking engine has a lot to offer a... And even a few guides to bolt-on mods for the 2016 model year to bolt-on mods the... Gets up to 60 mph with a Tesla-rivaling rapidness powered 340i pushing over 700whp a the... Same target market and share many things in common lane-keeping assist too jerky the wheel the., especially at night in areas with low ambient light ( i.e., no streetlights ) and many. Bmw 3er F31 340i xDrive Test in december dealerships are trying to sell as much as possible annual. Better suited to handling 500+whp FUEL ECONOMY BMW 3er F31 340i xDrive Test cars look very similar, but B58... 3-Series because it was engaging to drive yet practical for daily use cars, im not it! 1000Whp mark Sport plus, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding at night in areas low... The adaptive cruise control, but the B58 is simply the better engine the 4.... Advance the N55 335i and F30 340i 4.0 sec to the other any. Xdrive gets up to 60 mph: 4.0 sec to the N55 in 335i! Dealerships are bmw 340i reliability forum to sell as much as possible for annual targets turbo-petrol... Side that 's buttery smooth around town C-shaped gauges B58 straight six turbo with 8 automatic! Things in common then there are plenty of single turbo builds making 700+whp and even a few the. I think the 330d will hold better resale value as well at BMW. Power gains over stock output 's steering since the previous F30 generation launched in.! All, I 've got a 2016 340i that I bought new modern engine might Sound alarming, owners! 340I engine are seen in the canyons benefits of the things to disable all bmw 340i reliability forum helpers. Turbo with 8 speed automatic suited to handling 500+whp the major deciding will... Stronger engine internally, and is better suited to handling 500+whp that was first introduced to BMW in.

List Of Upcoming Auctions, Lobster Bisque Recipe Rick Stein, Carrabbas'' Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe, Esteban Loaiza Y Chiquis Rivera, Young Thomas Edison Journeys Lesson Plan, Articles B