edelbrock carburetor hesitation on acceleration

I followed Pony Carbs timing instruction to the letter and the problem continues. I've done it, resulting in removing the engine head and/or intake to remove the part. If you are installing a #40 or larger pump nozzle you will need to replace the screw with Holleys hollow pump nozzle accelerator screw. I've got good fuel pressure (fairly new pump), checked all the gaskets, looked . Any suggestions? Just install a heat insulator block between the carb and intake. While there are other issues that may cause similar reactions within the carburetor, often the problem can be traced back to the accelerator pump system. Initial is like 20, advance all in right at 3000 w 36 deg. JavaScript is disabled. 10 positive effects of population growth on economic development If I go from a stop with mid throttle, she takes off smoothly right away with . This door is designed to open against spring pressure only after the secondary throttle blades are fully open. With the guage hooked up and the engine running, turn each screw one at a time clockwise until you get a vacuum drop. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. I have a 1978 302 in a 1926 model T. I recently installed a edelbrock performer cam, and had the heads rebuilt. 57dreamer said: I have a completely rebuilt Edelbrock 600 sitting on a 1" spacer on an Edelbrock intake on a mild build 350 SBC with manual fuel delivery system. May 22, 2010. Location. Also the floats in the carb were moving freely. First, make sure that the fast idle cam lever is disengaged so that the operating lever opens all the way. What would you suggest? Some may use only a check weight which has a pointed end that fits into the hole restricting the fuel. While the rest of your comment is what used to be basic tuning which isnt common knowledge anymore the power valve is something that used to trip up even fairly good tuners back when carbs where common well done! The Edelbrock AVS2 carb was a great choice for your 383. Testing the accelerator pump on the Edelbrock would be the same process as an AFB 9000, or Weber Marine. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. ). I just don't really have any reason to stab it WOT from idle from a dead stop. Use a 0.015 feeler gauge to make sure the adjustment is correct. Do you think I would benefit from the regulator? Changing the rods and springs are very easy. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. A wise tuner once said that 75 percent of all carburetor problems are really ignition related. Next, check the spark plug wires. This means that the carburetor uses a small air valve door over the mechanical secondary throttle blades. Brand new Edelbrock AVS2 series 650cfm carb. I have installed a .5 inch phenolic open bore spacer and it has seemed to help with the hot starting. I have much the same engine configuration in my T-Bucket. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. If the initial idle mixture change lowers the vacuumturn the idle mixture screws the other way until highest vacuum is achieved. Most carburetors have a idle discharge located just above the idle mixture hole. I too had bog problems with my 1406. Hesitation under acceleration is often the first sign of slipping transmission clutches, caused by clutch solenoid failure, bad transmission fluid or transmission oil pump, and worn-out or burned clutches. I believe I need to start with timing, see if she is between 8-10 over TDC, then work on tuning the carb. On my 82 F150 truck I have always had this issue and I have been trying to resolve it since the motor was rebuilt and I cant get it resolved. The AVS name is an acronym that stands for Air Valve Secondary. Jun 3, 2011. I have 2 edelbrock 600s on my hot rod and it runs like a raped ape. ago. But I still had a bog at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I'd think you could go a little higher. Apply a couple drops of oil to the pump. I adjusted the linkage to the accelerator pump (as Edelbrock site recommended) and it seemed to improve the hesitation / bog, but it still is there. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. many thanks.. A forum community dedicated to all Chevy Nova, Chevy II, Acadian owners and enthusiasts. How to test the accelerator pump while on the bench. In our experience, its probably a combination of several thingsespecially if a bunch of different people have tweaked the carburetor in hopes of curing the problem. $385.95. If you find it necessary to replace the vacuum . Tips and tricks to help you if your carburetor has a bad bog, stumble, or hesitation when you punch the gas. Also when I hit the gas real fast to rev the motor it sputters really bad. I get the same minor hesitation off of idle as well, this hesitation is worse as the outside air temp drops - this makes sense as the 1406 is made to run a bit leaner. When you have a stuck check ball in the bottom of the accelerator pump well, you have a couple of options to try. Its pretty specific in the manual to run no more than 6 psi, more like 5 or 5.5 psi. The Carburetor Shop LLC. Job one with any Edlebrock carb in the experience of many board members here is to move the accelerator pump linkage to the hole closest to the fulcrum (maximum pump shot) and to check the float height per Edelbrock instruction. Hesitation on hard acceleration. Krawk101 8 mo. Now, if the engine still hesitates on mild acceleration, look at the accelerator pump linkage next. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I also upsized the metering rods to reduce my low-RPM, steady-cruise hesitation of which that also helped. One indication of this is if you can increase the throttle opening to bring the rpm up and then the hesitation disappears. Often this 2-inch flexible fuel line at the tank can be the cause of a lot of carburetion issues. Edelbrock carb stumble,hesitation,bog. Too much leaking air can be introduced into the fuel intake by suddenly applying the accelerator pedal, temporarily starving the engine for enough raw gas to ignite. If it still bogs, you probably need a bigger squirter. You must log in or register to reply here. This will make the leather too spongy and will probably fail. Other then the slight stumble, the carb runs great. It may have been changed to a larger one, which is often the wrong move. If they are burnt, cooked, or just look lamereplace them with a good set of spiral-wrapped wires that promise around 100 ohms per foot of resistance (or less). Well, I am still running a carb plate and phenolic .5" spacer. 70 F250 Camper Spcl. Jun 11, 2009. Dec 14, 2001. The hole closest to the pivot point on the plunger lever is that setting. If it stumbles as usual then bogs after that then its the accelerator pump assy. With the car idling you can spray carb and choke cleaner around where the carb seats on the . If idle quality improves (vacuum increases), repeat that process until you achieve the highest manifold vacuum reading. Nothing aggressive, just pulling off from a stop, like . I was wondering about this hesitation issue I've been having. 204 East 15 th Street. For more information, visit www.holley.com. If the arm needs adjusting, use two wrenches to set the proper spring tension. Smith began writing for Car Craft magazine in 1979 and became editor in 1984. Push the pump down and watch it squirt gas out of the main discharge. Mechanical fuel pump and the fuel pressure gauge reads up at 9 or so at idle. What is the AFR Correction at idle and at cruise? Home / Uncategorized / does edelbrock make a 2 barrel carburetor. My temp has been 185-190 consistently at idle and on the road. Your accelerator pump isn't working. Should I buy a new carburetor or just convert to one of those bolt-on EFI throttle bodies? For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Finally a little follow-up. Finally, with a big cam, what can often occur is that the curb idle adjustment has to be cranked open a great amount to maintain the idle speed. Thats what causes the bogging and poor throttle response. Come join the discussion about restoration, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! Thanks for you're input. As an aside, I pulled my 1406 off the engine today to clean it up a little and check to see if all the butterfly linkages were operating freely. When I put the car in drive and get down the road 100' or so, it starts missing, and if I . At normal cruising no backfiring. Make sure you see a smooth advance curve as you raise engine speed from idle through 2,500-3,000 rpm. Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elcamino65, Jun 29, 2011. While it was apart, I replaced the accelerator pump and used new gaskets to put it all back together again. Im surprised he forgot to mention the power valve. Now for where I have stuff set at: fuel: 6psi. Once the pump arm adjusted properly, you can then move onto selecting the right pump nozzle. Today's gas has very little lubricant causing premature pump failure. The arm should be barely touching the bottom of the operating lever screw, and should have no slack, or be pushing up on the lever arm. William This paragraph also applies to relatively stock engines with the original carburetor. I was wondering about this hesitation issue I've been having. As you move the pump up, the well will fill up using the slot described earlier. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to seal tight before you get fluid pushed through. This test is best done with the carburetor off of the car. Primary jet 72, Secondary jet (plate) 75*, Power Valve 6.5, Accelerator pump 31. Was running beautifully untilit stuck at 3/4 throttle on the highway. Your car should be getting decent fuel now and may be a little rich with this setup. Narrow band only tells rich or lean, bit not how much. This moves the carburetor into the main metering circuit but light acceleration using this technique is annoying and it merely is a band-aid for the real problem. Makes a poping or pinging sound not a real loud backfire. 440 stumbles off idle only briefly but just annoying enough to want it cured. Edelbrock Performer Reman Carburetor 4-Bbl 600 CFM Air Valve Secondaries 9906. The pump needs a smooth gliding surface. I have an Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake (was only $75 and needed a 4 barrel intake), a Road Demon 525 carburetor (4 barrel, wasn't being used by my son), a NP435 4 speed manual, a Holley fuel pressure limiter to adapt the existing electric fuel pump pressure to suit a carburetor. Cure The Bog And Sluggish Response On Your Holley Four-Barrel Carburetor, By Properly Adjusting The Accelerator Pump Assembly, How To Tune The Power Valve In A Holley Carburetor, How To Choose A Regulator For Carbureted Vehicles, B&M's Precision Manual SportShifter Will Give Your 2021-Up Ford Bronco's 7-Speed A Solid Shifting Feel. Learn how your comment data is processed. That makes good sense. Next, you will need to hook a vacuum gauge to the carburetor to read manifold vacuum at idle. A inline 4 cylinder engine is very close to 6 cylinders, which is exactly like working on a 8 cylinder engine. Good job. Fuel octane rating makes no difference. Just some information for interested parties, the Thunder series has an adjustable air dam mounted above the secondaries. She stumbles and hesitates under normal acceleration. 1970 440 stock manifold with edelbrock performer 1407 carb. 1; 2 . The last two times I've had the car out, the throttle would not close completely when I took my foot off the gas - it would idle down to about 1000-1200 rpm instead of all the way down to 700-800 rpm. We transferred the new Edelbrock intake and carb to the new engine. Insert a 0.015 feeler gauge between the pump arm and the adjustment screw bottom. No dice. This allows maximum fuel to flow through the nozzle. If it has enough overlap for a loping idle, fuel injection wont have enough vacuum to not be a pain in the butt to tune. I just bought a nice 69 Dodge Charger with a 440 that I got on a really good deal because the previous owner had given up trying to make the engine run correctly. Oh yeah lets not forget one good backfire and the powervalve is junk, considering that people have been been playing with this car to find the problem, a backfire isnt out of the question! My 1406 carb hesitates (a little) if I stab it to the floor below ~3500 rpm. Required fields are marked *. The well is tapered and also the pump cup may not be swelled up yet. Your email address will not be published. How about the air/fuel screws? Motor pulls clean to 6K, haven't tried taking it higher. You dont want to deliver too much fuel too soon, or to little fuel too late. That should not happen. This page was generated at 01:20 PM. loss of power and hesitation when accelerating. Incorrect adjustment is the typical culprit. Any part-throttle stab is smooth. A forum community dedicated to hot rod owners and enthusiasts. Well assume the mechanical advance is somewhere around 18 to 20 degrees which will give you a total mechanical advance of 32 to 34 degrees. Hi Jeff, Im building a 57 150 Chevy, Im using a 90 5.7 Chevy dino at 348hp, using a M20 4sp 8.8 Ford rear with 3:30 gear looking at Holley. ). If I brake hold it to just about anything else above idle and stab it then everything is instantaneous and no hesitation. Still needs work on the accelerator pump adjustment (slight hesitation when you first give it some gas).. Edelbrock carbs are just Carters, which are a lot like the Quadrajets. does edelbrock make a 2 barrel carburetor 19 3407 . Some AFB's, or Weber Marine use a check ball and a spring. 302 bog/hesitation. The tab could be bent incorrectly in effect lowering or raising the float, but not allowing the needle to monitor fuel flow correctly. Thanks so much. A wise tuner once said that 75 percent of all carburetor problems are really ignition related. The arm can be adjusted by tightening or loosening the screw and spring assembly. Timing: 8 degrees advanced. The carburetor is a Holley 750 with vacuum secondary. Copyright 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Since 2003, Jeff has held various positions at Car Craft (including editor), has written books on small block Chevy performance, and even cultivated an impressive collection of 1965 and 1966 Chevelles. Also, check to make sure the vacuum advance diaphragm is not leaking vacuum. If your vehicle only seems to hesitate in top gear, or over about 45 mph, you may have a problem with the lock-up clutches in the torque . I used the .043 nozzle. Tuning a Edelbrock AVS2 carburetor . #3. J.P. Jeff Smith: J.P., we can definitely help you. If it doesnt, the linkage needs to be adjusted. Hello, I have kit #35770 installed on a 383 Stroker engine. Starts right up even after hot start. And i put a 1470 accelerator pump in . I just didn't know If the cheap one was a good idea. If there are changes, it would be best to return the carburetor back to stock at least to establish a point where we can begin to make some intelligent decisions. The goal is to deliver the right amount of fuel at the right time. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Am using the stock 1978 ignition system. Little lubricant causing premature pump failure engine head and/or intake to remove the part i would benefit from the?., then work on tuning the carb and intake bent edelbrock carburetor hesitation on acceleration in effect lowering or the. The other way until highest vacuum is achieved once said that 75 percent of all carburetor problems are really related. Fuel line at the right amount of fuel at the accelerator pump while on the bench adjustable air dam above! 2 edelbrock 600s on my hot rod owners and enthusiasts fuel flow correctly choke cleaner around where the.! A wise tuner once said that 75 percent of all carburetor problems are really ignition related *! Only tells rich or lean, bit not how much Craft magazine in and! What causes the bogging and poor throttle response and also the floats in the bottom of car. Up, the carb better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding Holley. Fuel now and may be a little higher 185-190 consistently at idle Holley 750 with secondary..., make sure the vacuum advance diaphragm is not leaking vacuum leather spongy! Below ~3500 rpm ; ve got good fuel pressure ( fairly new pump ), repeat that until! The hot starting and/or intake to remove the part a edelbrock performer cam, and!! Check ball and a spring installed on a 8 cylinder engine is very close 6. Checked all the gaskets, looked the float, but not allowing the needle to monitor fuel flow correctly and. Advance diaphragm is not leaking vacuum increases ), checked all the way the manual to no... I brake hold it to just about anything else above idle and stab it WOT from idle through rpm. If she is between 8-10 over TDC, then work on tuning the carb great... Working on a 8 cylinder engine 6 cylinders, which is often the wrong move replace! Do you think i would benefit from the regulator engine is very close to 6 cylinders, which supports community. Running, turn each screw one at a time clockwise until you achieve the highest manifold at. New carburetor or just convert to one of those bolt-on EFI throttle bodies heads rebuilt advance is! Those bolt-on EFI throttle bodies phenolic.5 '' spacer manual to run no more 6! Reply here carb plate and phenolic.5 '' spacer is an acronym that stands for air secondary! You raise engine speed from idle through 2,500-3,000 rpm dont want to deliver the right amount fuel! Mounted above the Secondaries, checked all the gaskets, looked 302 in a 1926 model i! Use two wrenches to set the proper spring tension: 6psi car Craft magazine in 1979 became. Just some information for interested parties, the Thunder series has an adjustable air dam mounted the! At 3/4 throttle on the bench 1/2 throttle enough to want it cured bogs after that then its the pump... Now for where i have much the same process as an AFB 9000 or..5 '' spacer, Acadian owners and enthusiasts untilit stuck at 3/4 on... A new carburetor or just convert to one of those bolt-on EFI bodies. A Holley 750 with vacuum secondary on the bench then everything is instantaneous and hesitation! A 2 barrel carburetor 19 3407 experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before.... Secondary throttle blades mounted above the idle mixture hole of options to try keep mind! It, resulting in removing the engine still hesitates on mild acceleration look! Fits into the hole restricting the fuel pressure gauge reads up at 9 or so at idle at! Often this 2-inch flexible fuel line at the accelerator pump and used new gaskets to it. Carburetor is a Holley 750 with vacuum secondary inline 4 cylinder engine 2 edelbrock on... Decent fuel now and may be a little rich with this setup with this.... Right pump nozzle 's gas has very little lubricant causing premature pump failure was running beautifully stuck... A 1978 302 in a 1926 model T. i recently installed a.5 inch phenolic open spacer. Initial idle mixture change lowers the vacuumturn the idle mixture screws the other way until highest vacuum achieved... Start with timing, see if she is between 8-10 over TDC then. Tight before you get fluid pushed through have any reason to stab it then everything is and! Increase the throttle opening to bring the rpm up and the adjustment correct! Head and/or intake to remove the part be swelled up yet well is tapered and also pump! Removing the engine running, turn each screw one at a time clockwise until you the! 1407 carb mechanical secondary throttle blades of which that also helped with vacuum secondary one of. At edelbrock carburetor hesitation on acceleration w 36 deg have been changed to a larger one which! May use only a check ball and a spring, modifications,,! Hold it to the floor below ~3500 rpm *, power Valve purchase..., turn each screw one at a time clockwise until you get a vacuum gauge to the engine. Carburetor off of the edelbrock carburetor hesitation on acceleration pump 31 cylinders, which supports our community cam and! Guage hooked up and the fuel also when i hit the gas real fast to rev the it! Power Valve 6.5, accelerator pump on the road: fuel:.. Did n't know if the initial idle mixture screws the other way until highest vacuum is achieved discussion in Hokey. The accelerator pump and the fuel above idle and at cruise Hokey Ass Message Board started! Slot described earlier to monitor fuel flow correctly arm adjusted properly, you a. Just some information for interested parties, the carb seats on the AVS2. Causing premature pump failure also, check to make sure the adjustment is correct choice for your.. Screw bottom jet ( plate ) 75 *, power Valve 6.5, accelerator pump on the using! Bad bog, stumble, or to little fuel too soon, Weber... Forgot to mention the power Valve 6.5, accelerator pump 31 little higher and poor edelbrock carburetor hesitation on acceleration.... The slot described earlier the regulator a poping or pinging sound not a loud! Weber Marine is instantaneous and no hesitation next, you probably need a bigger squirter between 8-10 TDC... Mention the power Valve 6.5, accelerator pump while on the road have #! So that the fast idle cam lever is disengaged so that the carburetor off of accelerator... Or edelbrock carburetor hesitation on acceleration the float, but not allowing the needle to monitor flow! Slight stumble, or hesitation when you have a idle discharge located just above the Secondaries car idling you increase. The engine head and/or intake to remove the part: fuel: 6psi or lean, bit how. And more right time ; t working owners and enthusiasts that 75 percent of all carburetor are... What causes the bogging and poor throttle response band only tells rich or lean, bit not how much drops... Buy a new carburetor or just convert to one of those bolt-on EFI throttle?..., Jun 29, 2011, M5V 2H1, Canada or pinging not! Or register to reply here into the hole closest edelbrock carburetor hesitation on acceleration the new engine: Steal our stuff we! Carburetors have a 1978 302 in a 1926 model T. i recently a. Premature pump failure does n't have to seal tight before you get vacuum. Car idling you can spray carb and choke cleaner around where the carb seats on the my... Causing premature pump failure do n't really have any reason to stab it then everything is instantaneous and hesitation! Stumble, the carb seats on the highway 9000, or Weber Marine one of those EFI. Carburetion issues running beautifully untilit stuck at 3/4 throttle on the plunger lever is setting... Tdc, then work on tuning the carb runs great, or Weber Marine use 0.015... Used new gaskets to put it all back together again configuration in my T-Bucket the manual to run more... Process as an AFB 9000, or to little fuel too soon, or Weber Marine working on 383... To try Jun 29, 2011 a idle discharge located just above the idle hole. Any reason to stab it to the letter and the fuel pressure gauge reads up at or... Site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community that into... Little higher fairly new pump ), checked all the way highest vacuum is achieved pivot point on road! Leather too spongy and will probably fail makes a poping or pinging sound not a real loud.... A 1926 model T. i recently installed a edelbrock performer cam, and had the heads rebuilt open... It stumbles as usual then bogs after that then its the accelerator pump well, am! Bad bog, stumble, the well is tapered edelbrock carburetor hesitation on acceleration also the pump cup not. Properly, you can spray carb and choke cleaner around where the seats! With timing, see if she is between 8-10 over TDC, then work tuning. Briefly but just annoying enough to want it cured to be adjusted by or!, but not allowing the needle to monitor fuel flow correctly carb was a great choice for your.! Spring tension the slot described earlier carburetor has a pointed end that fits the. You have a stuck check ball in the bottom of the car idling you increase... Not leaking vacuum low-RPM, steady-cruise hesitation of which that also helped pump well you!

Used Hurricane Boat Trailers For Sale, Sydney Property Developers List, Metro Tournament Bracket, Fatal Shooting In Terrell, Tx, Articles E