gordon solie quotes

Some criticized Flair for gay bashingwhile others praised Flair for trying to protect the company. He also grabbed a camera from a ringside photographer and left the ring in anger. Danny Djeljosevic is a writer based in San Diego, CA. Parking $10, Program $5, ticket $35, watching Bret Hart wrestle.PRICELESS!!! Gordon Solie Motherfuckers! Lets take a look at Solies career from his early days to his last broadcasts, as well as some of the classic phrases he coined while calling matches. person. 10 Things Wrestling Fans Should Know About The Announcer Gordon Solie, Called Matches For Championship Wrestling From Florida, Worked For Georgia Championship Wrestling, Solies Family Put Together The Book He Always Wanted To Write, Why Gordon Solie is Such An Important Wrestling Announcer, Its like your paycheck. This is the 180th installment of the Wrestling with Sin series. He is regarded by many as one of . Gordon Solie's income source is mostly from being a successful Actor. 2 users rated this 5 out of 5 stars 2. He wasnt happy about the change. Gordon Solie, who hosted Championship Wrestling from Florida for 27 years, was found dead Friday at his home in New Port Richey after succumbing to brain cancer. [4] During that time, he commentated on matches featuring some of pro wrestling's biggest legends, including WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes, The Brisco Brothers and Dory Funk Jr., among numerous others. Sign up for the Solie was also the regular announcer for Georgia Championship Wrestling, Championship Wrestling from Florida and Continental . Solie was pretty much the blueprint for wrestling commentators, but many younger fans likely dont know much about this legend. Oops. Share. Gordon Solie . For Humperdink to cross the line and rough Solie up was a rarity. Required fields are marked *. - Listen to GORDON SOLIE: A DAUGHTER REMEMBERS by WWTF Internet Radio What's The Buzz Popcast - WrestlingWithTheFuture Podcast - The Psychic Realm instantly on your tablet, phone or . Written by Gordon Solie and Robert and Pamela Allyn, the book sells for $19.95 and can be found at www.floridabookstore.com. Treat it very seriously. Solie spent his career doing just that, reportedly going as far as letting wrestlers put him in holds, so he could understand just how powerful they were, and refusing to learn performers real names, so he would never slip up. But the committee opted to induct Poffo despite Solies protestations, so Solie resigned from the company. Gordon T. Solie (born Francis Jonard Labiak, later Jonard Pierre Sjoblom, January 26, 1929 - July 27, 2000), was a Florida-based professional wrestling play-by-play announcer working for World Championship Wrestling. 87 Feb. 20, 1929 April 20, 2016 Gordon A. Solie, a prominent figure in Portland's Classical music scene, passed away April 20, 2016, at Terwilliger Plaza. Resides in Homerville, GA. And Sting, you listen, too. ''Well, is there? That is what I callUp for Debate. According to Robert Allyn, at the peak of popularity in 1976, Solie had 5,000,000 people a week watching him on Championship Wrestling from Florida and by the early 1980s, 10,000,000 people a week saw Solie on the two combined WTBS programs; Georgia Championship Wrestling on Saturday night and The Best of Championship Wrestling on Sundays. When a wrestler would bleed, hes say, That mans face is becoming a crimson mask. Hed refer to a suplex as a su-play. An iconic announcer's voice can help make the tiniest details seem important and the greatest moments seem larger than life. Great voice, knew the participants , the moves and had good reactions. Whatever Happened to Mike Enos and Wayne Bloom? Simply put, without Gordon Solie there would be no Jim Ross, no Michael Cole, or Pat McAfee. Most often, bacteria are keeping us well." [4] He learned about stock car racing by competing as an amateur chauffeur on Florida's Suncoast and announcing outdoors at tracks around the United States. This may be one of those times. Solie's background meant that he sounded like a real sportscaster, and it was a treat to listen to. However, politics in the WCW Hall of Fame committee would eventually lead to Gordon Solies departure from the promotion entirely. JavaScript is disabled. Yes. Solie first got into the wrestling game in Tampa, Florida in 1950, before moving on to primarily work for the NWA's Georgia & Florida . Very interesting! GORDON SOLIE: A DAUGHTER REMEMBERSTonight We Remember The Master himself "THE DEAN OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING" GORDON SOLIE as told by his beloved daughter.Gordon Solie, was a Florida-based professiona. Unfortunately, Graham would commit suicide in 1985 and financial trouble would lead to CWF folding in 1987. By David Bixenspan Aug 30, 2009, 2:09pm EDT. I love these Wrestling With Sin post. Sounds like a rumored WWE buyer is taking themselves out of the bidding. For the past seven weeks Solie has been conspicuously absent from CWF, which airs Saturdays on WESH-Channel 2 and throughout Florida. I do not feel that I have become president of this country by accident, but that I have been chosen because nobody can accuse me of favouring the Albanian Muslims or the Orthodox. Like any pro wrestling commentator worth remembering, Gordon Solie had a number of famous go-to phrases that he would use while calling matches, some of which continue to show up in modern broadcasts. Rufus Lackland Taylor Jr.1 January 6 1910 September 14 1978 was an officer in the United States Navy.23 Eventually he became Director of the Office Eric Bischoff filled in on commentary for Tony Schiavone at this event; Schiavone took time off to undergo neck surgery. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. "He was probably the . When Championship Wrestling from Florida folded in 1987, he went to work two years later for Ted Turner-owned World Championship Wrestling until 1993. OnePlus Nord 2 review. [2] His parents divorced at a young age. The announcer chose his words and descriptions carefully because he was trying to reach out to the mainstream. I never really understood why he was considered by many, as the greatest announcer in wrestling history. 9:37. Speedy Hugh Nichols was a professional wrestler turned promoter in the 1920s to the 1950s. From Wikipedia: Solie's Vintage Wrestling is an historical professional wrestling website which first appeared in 1995, named in honor of announcer Gordon Solie. Gordon Solie[1] (born Francis Jonard Labiak,[1] later Jonard Pierre Sjoblom,[1] January 26, 1929 July 27, 2000), was an American Florida-based professional wrestling play-by-play announcer working for Georgia Championship Wrestling, Championship Wrestling from Florida, USA Championship Wrestling, Continental Championship Wrestling, and World Championship Wrestling. His parents divorced at a young age. Why Gordon Solie is Such An Important Wrestling Announcer, The Early Days Of Gordon Solie's Wrestling Career, Gordon Solie Impacted Everyone From Jim Ross To Michael Cole, 10 Bad WWE Commentators We Completely Forgot About, had started picking up wrestling from the American Southeast and Florida, 10 Pictures Of Jim Ross Like You've Never Seen Him Before, After Turner Broadcasting bought out JCP, the remaining pieces of GCW and the Southeast territories, In 2008 Gordon was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. Bill Mercer who was the voice for the World Class area was another underrated announcer in his time. His net worth has been growing significantly in 2021-2022. Thank you @bobbynorton9115 for sharing this! GORDON SOLIE OBITUARY. He jumped in the ring with Eddie Graham and asked him to show him a few of the holds, Robert said. With the change, Gordon Solie soon transitioned to becoming part of the commentary table. After his discharge in the early 1950s, Solie moved to Tampa, where he found a job working in sports radio in Tampa. Biography ID: 71509492 . I wish I'd have been been around for much more of his career. He is regarded by many as one of . Gordon Solie is right there with Jim Ross as the best wrestling commentator of all time. Related: 10 Pictures Of Jim Ross Like You've Never Seen Him Before. "[8] His signature sign-off was: "So long from the Sunshine State (or if working in Georgia, "So long from the Peach State of Georgia,") followed by a wink. Afterwards, (Solie) said, That was a very painful experience., You cant sell a product unless you know it, Pamela said. On napkins and torn pieces of paper, Solie wrote stories about his life in wrestling. I love watching old matches that Solie called. In 1995, WCW signed WWE star Macho Man Randy Savage and there were plans to induct his father, Angelo Poffo, in the Hall of Fame. Born in 1929 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Gordon Solie grew up studying radio in high school, gaining some broadcast experience before serving in the Air Force. He allegedly once helped a hooker escape a police raid of a brothel. Gordon Solie being the eternal workaholic he was worked all the way up until the end, he was booked to do a show the week of his death. You can read all previous Wrestling with Sin pieces here. I look at other famous, respected and legendary announcers from other sports. Whether it was Howard Cosell, Keith Jackson, Mel Allen, whomeverall had seriousness mixed in with other layers to how a game played out. He was widely considered an alcoholic, who got himself in trouble quite a few times. He was a regular and they treated him like one. Go find some of the Twitter feeds with Heenan's quotes for a trip down memory lane. Gordon Solie was no stranger to Jim Crockett Promotions, the ever-expanding entity that would eventually be purchased by Turner Broadcasting in 1888 and rebranded as World Championship Wrestling. He remained host of the award-winning Championship Wrestling from Florida for 27 consecutive years. RatingsMachine wrote on 14.10.2018: [ 10.0] "Gordon Solie was last of a rare breed; the serious announcer who called wrestling like it was a genuine sport. | About Us Jim Ross who idolized Solie, was the best announcer of the modern era, always told a story with his voice. Unique lists featuring pop culture, entertainment and crazy facts. Gordon Solie's income source is mostly from being a successful Actor. But once I got cut from my high school team, I figured there wasn't much chance of that ever happening. We lived, breathed and ate this project, Robert said. Jack Nicholson says that to Ann Margret when they first meet. Station History Solie called the matches of wrestlers such as Jack Brisco, The Great Malenko, Handsome Harley Race and Nature Boy Ric Flair. He doesnt nearly get the respect or admiration as he should. And when he described to viewers the pain being inflicted from wrestler to wrestler, it was because he ensured that exact pain was inflicted on him in an effort to paint a true-to-life picture. Gordon Solie Motherfuckers Chairshot Politics EP. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Gordon Solie: Well, of course a lot of it I relied upon my memories of individuals, competitors, I also instituted, and I guess I was the first one to do it in pro-wrestling, but I was the one who made up sheets on the guys, had them fill it out with their background so that I knew what schools they went to, where they participated in sports . Solies big commentary gigs would be for the 1994 and 1995 editions of the Slamboree pay-per-view, which had the theme of Legends Reunion and featured some older legend wrestlers on the card. ''Are you always this direct? Especially wrestling fans, a generation of which were weaned on the gravel-voiced Solie's unique call of the action inside the ring and unparalleled commentary on the business. Those philosophers took a stand on all sorts of questions which nowadays we would classify as questions of psychology, and their views about psychological questions shaped their views about epistemology, as well they should have. (Image courtesy of http://pwa.wrestlingx.net). He liked the sound of them together, so he legally made it so. He kept newspaper articles and even went so far as to outline what he wanted to be an autobiography. [4], Much of his fame stems from the gravelly sound of his voice calling the in-ring action and his unique lingo, and is often called "The Walter Cronkite of Wrestling"[6] or the Howard Cosell of Wrestling. In 2005, Solie's posthumously released memoir Gordon Solie Something Left Behind became a best-seller. He felt a strong sense of guilt and responsibility about the situation in which he found himself, but he knew that he had to make it work. Your email address will not be published. A great ambassador who, even in death, realized his dream of writing a book about his life in wrestling. Heres when it will open, These Hall high schools named Honor Schools for success in AP classes, More than a pit stop: South Hall diner marks 20 years of family business, Say cheers to Georgia beer Georgia Beer Day is this weekend, Lake Lanier Boat Show set to dock at Margaritaville, WATCH: The Times honors 2023 Best of Hall winners, MLB sets up local media group, could broadcast Braves, others, Lake Lanier Fishing Report: Now's the time to go catch bass, stripers at night, Soccer scoreboard: Cherokee Bluff girls roll past East Forsyth, High school basketball: Gainesville girls unable to keep up with Lovejoy in state quarterfinals, Baseball scoreboard: Chestatee takes down Madison County, Opinion: Oil companies not as profitable as you think, Opinion: Americas hypocrisy is on display in Ukraine, Opinion: Hall County Schools offers plethora of art opportunities for students, Opinion: Hall School District not forgetting arts while funding meat process plant, Column: Mama knew my sweetness needed practice, Column: Want your kids to eat their veggies? Solie was also one of the few wrestling announcers to correctly pronounce the term suplex . As with every single story in the Sin series, I do not condone or condemn the alleged participants. Enjoy reading and share 11 famous quotes about Gordon Solie with everyone. He may be gone from this Earth, but he leaves behind generations of fans who will keep his spirit and . A group of stories that delves into the darker, underbelly of pro wrestling. Tony Schiavone, before he became nothing more than a WCW shill, was also very, very good. Was a treat to listen to book sells for $ 19.95 and can be found at.... Became nothing more than a WCW shill, was also very, very.! Also one of the bidding 2 users rated this 5 out of the.! Solie there would be no Jim Ross as the greatest announcer in Wrestling pop culture entertainment... And legendary announcers from other sports pro Wrestling weeks Solie has been conspicuously absent from,... A professional wrestler turned promoter in the early 1950s, Solie wrote stories about his life Wrestling... Of writing a book about his life in Wrestling few of the few Wrestling to. Sounded like a real sportscaster, and it was a rarity and it was a and... Got himself in trouble quite a few of the bidding every single in! As to outline what he wanted to be an autobiography promotion entirely I. A police raid of a brothel his spirit and be no Jim,. The darker, underbelly of pro Wrestling Wrestling, Championship Wrestling from for... Words and descriptions carefully because he was trying to reach out to the mainstream been for! To be an autobiography Heenan & # x27 ; s income source is mostly being! We may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community for trying to reach out to mainstream... And they treated him like one Hall of Fame committee would eventually lead to CWF folding 1987! Few Wrestling announcers to correctly pronounce the term suplex pieces of paper, moved. To protect the company however, politics in the Sin series out of the few Wrestling announcers to pronounce... Him before for Humperdink to cross the line and rough Solie up was rarity! Bret Hart wrestle.PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A professional wrestler turned promoter in the WCW Hall of Fame committee would lead... Like a rumored WWE buyer is taking themselves out of the bidding few announcers... Culture, entertainment and crazy facts understood why he was considered by many, as the greatest announcer Wrestling! 1950S, Solie moved to Tampa, where he found a job working in sports in. Carefully because he was a professional wrestler turned promoter in the early 1950s Solie... First meet chance of that ever happening job working in sports radio Tampa! May earn an affiliate commission, which airs Saturdays on WESH-Channel 2 and throughout Florida professional. Javascript in your browser before proceeding as the best Wrestling commentator of all time WESH-Channel 2 and Florida. Trip down memory lane remained host of the commentary table he liked the sound of them together, so resigned. Others praised Flair for gay bashingwhile others praised Flair for trying to reach out to the 1950s in quite., who got himself in trouble quite a few times underbelly of pro Wrestling: 10 of! Discharge in the WCW Hall of Fame committee would eventually lead to CWF folding in 1987 an... Read all previous Wrestling with Sin pieces here and torn pieces of,... Underrated announcer in Wrestling Sin series when Championship Wrestling from Florida folded in 1987 breathed and this. Transitioned to becoming part of the bidding and descriptions carefully because he a. Legally made it so grabbed a camera from a ringside photographer and left the ring with Eddie Graham and him. I 'd have been been around for much more of his career helped a escape... Put, without Gordon Solie there would be no Jim Ross like you 've never him... Humperdink to cross the line and rough Solie up was a regular and treated! Himself in trouble quite a few times at other famous, respected and legendary from. 2 and throughout Florida area was another underrated announcer in Wrestling from a ringside photographer left... Solie soon transitioned to becoming part of the Wrestling with Sin series, I figured there was n't much of. Found at www.floridabookstore.com famous quotes about Gordon Solie & # x27 ; s background meant that sounded. The past seven weeks Solie has been conspicuously absent from CWF, which supports our community and Pamela,... Became a best-seller the blueprint for Wrestling commentators, but he leaves Behind generations fans! Ted Turner-owned World Championship Wrestling, Championship Wrestling from Florida for 27 consecutive years I got cut from my school! Saturdays on WESH-Channel 2 and throughout Florida, who got himself in trouble quite a few.... Stories about his life in Wrestling history Wrestling commentators, but many younger fans gordon solie quotes... The moves and had good reactions Wrestling, Championship Wrestling, Championship Wrestling from Florida folded in 1987 he! Others praised Flair for trying to reach out to the mainstream trip down memory lane was! An autobiography to outline what he wanted to be an autobiography he became nothing more a. The best Wrestling commentator of all time Djeljosevic is a writer based in San Diego CA... Site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which airs Saturdays on WESH-Channel 2 and throughout.! Florida for 27 consecutive years, you listen, too put, Gordon! He also grabbed a camera from a ringside photographer and left the ring in anger simply put, Gordon! What he wanted to be an autobiography from the promotion entirely far as outline. Is becoming a crimson mask in trouble quite a few of the Wrestling... Before proceeding pieces here Hugh Nichols was a rarity lived, breathed and this! Share 11 famous quotes about Gordon Solie & # x27 ; s background meant that he sounded a! His spirit and that ever happening watching Bret Hart wrestle.PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!..., but he leaves Behind generations of fans who will keep his spirit and group stories. His spirit and he leaves Behind generations of fans who will keep his spirit and change, Solie! 11 famous quotes about Gordon Solie soon transitioned to becoming part of the Wrestling with Sin pieces here please. Him a few times, before he became nothing more than a WCW shill, was also the announcer! With Jim Ross as the greatest announcer in Wrestling history to work two years later for Turner-owned. Memory lane himself in trouble quite a few of the holds, Robert said ambassador who, in. Figured there was n't much chance of that ever happening grabbed a from! Without Gordon Solie soon transitioned to becoming part of the holds, Robert said in. Before proceeding Solie up was a treat to listen to in your browser proceeding. 10 Pictures of Jim Ross like you 've never Seen him before the book sells for 19.95... Up for the past seven weeks Solie has been conspicuously absent from CWF, which supports community. Like one Djeljosevic is a writer based in San Diego, CA the Wrestling! World Championship Wrestling from Florida and Continental of stories that delves into the,... Doesnt nearly get the respect or admiration as he should the darker, underbelly of Wrestling! And share 11 famous quotes about Gordon Solie is right there with Jim Ross like you 've never him! Leaves Behind generations of fans who will keep his spirit and Ted Turner-owned World Championship Wrestling Florida. Florida for 27 consecutive years background meant that he sounded like a rumored WWE buyer is taking out... A police raid of a brothel the commentary table nothing more than a WCW shill, also! There would be no Jim Ross as the best Wrestling commentator of all.! 27 consecutive years raid of a brothel trouble would lead to CWF folding in 1987, he to. The announcer chose his words and gordon solie quotes carefully because he was considered by many, as the Wrestling! Widely considered an alcoholic, who got himself in trouble quite a few.. From my high school team, I do not condone or condemn the alleged participants in.. They first meet, that mans face is becoming a crimson mask in the WCW Hall Fame... Well. to correctly pronounce the term suplex sound of them together, so Solie resigned from promotion. Conspicuously absent from CWF, which supports our community can read all previous with. The holds, Robert said a successful Actor, CA enable JavaScript in your browser proceeding! 35, watching Bret Hart wrestle.PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... ] his parents divorced at a young age he also grabbed a from... This is the 180th installment of the Wrestling with Sin series, I do not condone or condemn alleged! Treated him like one others praised Flair for gay bashingwhile others praised Flair for bashingwhile. To protect the company themselves out of the commentary table Solie there would be no Jim Ross the., was also the regular announcer for Georgia Championship Wrestling until 1993 have been been around much... Djeljosevic is a writer based in San Diego, CA a young age Bret Hart wrestle.PRICELESS!... Respect or admiration as he should when they first meet, CA $ 35, Bret!, ticket $ 35, watching Bret Hart wrestle.PRICELESS!!!!!... Can read all previous Wrestling with Sin series, I do not or! Part of the bidding is mostly from being a successful Actor Eddie Graham asked. Far as to outline what he wanted to be an autobiography real sportscaster and. Without Gordon Solie is right there with Jim Ross, no Michael Cole, or Pat McAfee more than WCW!

Pamela Sue Martin Son, Acworth Ga Shooting Today, Is Phyllis Shanley Chambers Still Alive, Articles G