howard platt norwich

That was the year they didn't sing alphabetically so I managed to miss Paul singing and of course, I was willing him to win so I could see him sing again lol, no luck with the second place! Should have checked the label before putting it on the night before.So much for going out, wouldn't show my rosy face anywhere looking like that! "Norwich!" came the reply from Rod Stewart, "The Orford!" SALISBURY Howard Platt, whose rich, resonant radio voice was a familiar and beloved one to Rowan County sports fans from the late 1970s until his retirement in 2017, has died. AUD 1/1/836 Title. Astute businessman Howard Platt, along with Ken Rix and Tony Sparks booked the acts. Staff report. [8] John Howard died Apr. If I could only paint a verbal picture for you of the college buildings nestling in the margins of the redwood forest, the dappled sunlight trickling through the tops of the towering trees, the gentle fingers of sea mist feeling their way up through the canyons, the Monterey Bay glittering under the blue sky below meadows where red-tailed hawks and golden eagles wheel lazily in the sky above the grazing deer; the fluffy clouds of evening turning pink and then gold as the sun sinks into Pacific. 115 Platt Ave, Norwich, CT is a single family home that contains 1,518 sq ft and was built in 1890. As a series regular he played Captain Doug March on the CBS-TV sitcom Flying High (197879). . Zaks has been a part of peoples lives in Norwich and Norfolk since 1976. It was such a lousy name, said Garry. The late Bram Lowe, who died the other week, ran the place in the swinging 60s with Howard Platt and told Garry it should have been named "The Contours Club." . It was a school of parades, inspections, short haircuts, uniforms, ties, shined shoes and brass. Mister Buss, The Witnesses, The Peppermint Men, Throb, High Mileage and Midnight Groove. Rice and Platt did Catawba College football and basketball games together for several seasonsand traveled with the team one year to the NAIA basketball championship in Kansas City. Yes, some of the biggest names in pop headed our way, Jim Hendrix, David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Elton John and more but I would like to pay tribute to our local bands and singers. A psychology major at UNC, Platt lived in Granville Towers and befriended the Tar Heel basketball team. Dating back to the 14th century this became one of the first concert halls. It is a small, tight-knit community with special appreciation for arts and language, and it is open to any LC student regardless of major or interests. However, John was also the eldest grandson (although maternal) of the 1st Duke of the first creation. If you want to know anything about local music from way back, or from last week, Kingsley is your man and, under the new Music from the Eastzone banner, he has produced the first Norwich Music Map. Nov 1977. Lots of my old haunts in Norwich no longer exist, but have fond memories of Samson and Hercules, The Gala, Legs (!!) They were mediocre, Platt says, but they were exciting mediocre.. We were so different, and neither of us held back. I certainly do. Editors' Code of Practice. But I couldn't take the drudgery. 5th: Joseph Kennedy (Plainville) DEC Josh Howard (Southington), 5-4. . Thanks to the old Bing Crosby celebrity golf event at Bermuda Run and Salisburys being home to the National Sports Media Association, Platt was able to interview many of the great sports figures and sports announcers of his time. 'This is Harvey Platt of Norwich,' said his friend as he introduced him. Devoted viewers of 1970s television will easily remember Platt; he played Hoppy the Cop, the quintessentially weird, by-the-book white police officer who made frequent stops at Fred Sanford's junkyard on the hit NBC sitcom Sanford and Son (1972-1977). Even the juke box upstairs was special - playing records brought over from America by the GI's before they were officially released in this country. But no, it would take more verbal facility than a humble grammarian can muster. HP10 9TY. Purdys was well used, she said, but at the time the basement often flooded with sewage and then there were thoseMODS. When Howard Platt took over it attracted the likes of Hendrix and Bowie plus locals Lucas, The Continentals, below, and the evergreen Garry Freeman and The Contours . The cellar had an atmosphere all of its own. All of our teams are local and of course we love our loyal local customers and we also love meeting new visitors. There were many years of neglect and insults, dark times indeed, but the 11-storey pencil of light is shining brightly again with shops and upmarket townhouses and apartments. More than 300 people squeezed into the cellar in its heyday and the doorman had a reputation for being one of the hardest men in Norfolk - Levi McCarthy. The Ronnie Hanton skiffle group played on the opening night with teen sensation Mireille Grey. trivago! It had such a special atmosphere. We buy all our meat and fresh food from local suppliers as we know the importance of knowing where our food comes from. I think all those calories stored themselves up until I reached 40+ and jumped on my middle together lolGood memories tho, aren't they?Lizx, Member Since: And with good reason. Organised by the late great Terry Wickham they proved to the youngsters that the grandfathers of rock could still raise the roof. Often it was difficult to get into the office because of scooters parked everywhere and fighting broke out occasionally, she said. Since 1979, I never had a summer free, basically, he says. His many movie roles include T.R. Office workers soon packed the place out, Purdys opened. And he added: It will give the most wonderful effect in daylight, You will get a reflection of Westlegate, Orford Place and the sky and you will lose that sort of dead effect you get with solid things. Member Since: The Grosvenor Ballroom Prince of Wales Road. Albert Cooper, below with Anna, launched his career here. If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can HP10 9TY. Join Facebook to connect with Scott Platt and others you may know. They signed another record deal, became Moving Finger and the music played on. But it got out of hand, it's taken over my life. And we were both absolutely awful, Platt says. As in 2023, Howard Platt's age is 84 years. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. Garry Freeman & The New Contours. Movie posters. It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times. The late Joe Garagiola presented Platthis N.C. Sportscaster of the Year Award, and at past NSMA gatherings, Platt met and became friends withHerzog, his belovedvoice of the Redskins. Join Facebook to connect with Howard Platt and others you may know. It opened in September 1978 and then suddenly closed in the following August after the council pulled the plug on the 2am drinking licence. It may have closed more than 45 years ago but the memories and the music are timeless. Close to the art school it attracted the likes of The Alleykats and Tony Sheridan, the rock 'n' roll rebel who went on to play with The Beatles. It only lasted for one season but Howard Platt, who starred on the show, told Antenn. It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times. Full Real Name. Howard Martin Platt. But the gregarious Platt has a knack for keeping friends, no matter what theirsports or political allegiances. I think Howard is an iconic Rowan County character, says WBTV senior reporter David Whisenant, who served as Platts color analyst on Legion baseball for more than 20 years. Described as the most famous venue of all. Sadly in the mid 80s the caravan closed but in 1988 Zaks Waterside opened on the banks of the river on Barrack Street opposite the Norwich landmark Cow Tower. Now the offices of the Norfolk and Norwich Families House. View the most popular Howard Platt pix. It worked. Locations. In the summer of 1979, Platt was calling his first Rowan County American Legion games, and over the first two summers, the team reachedthe state championship finals each year. Station Manager Phil Kehr hired Platt to replace Bob Rathbun. With the option of having your burger over 20 different ways (not including how it is cooked) from a good old fashioned cheeseburger to the PB with smooth peanut butter, maple and red pepper glaze, bacon & crispy onions; Zaks really is the destination for burger fans. was late coming back from work so didn't wake me at the time I expected so I called the local pharmacy to see what she recommended, she said some different over the counter anti histamines (mine were from the doc last year when I got an infected gnat bite) and she also suggested some steroid cream. Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. Almost every newspaper you pick up, or conversation you overhear in a shop, means a minor new discovery. He was previously married to Alice Marugg. Skip to main content. On this date in 1978, the short-lived TV series "Flying High" premiered. Westlegate was shaking. inaccuracy or intrusion, then please Platt stayed in Chapel Hill for a year after graduating in 1973, working an assortment of jobs and trying to figure out his career path. ;-0)Deanna X, Hi Liz,Reading your reply, you and I probably crossed paths at some point. View the latest Howard Platt photos. Platt didnt feel as though he was always fittingin with this structured environmentand says he was assigned a desk job for his last year-and-a-half, out of the administrationsfear his attitude would rub off onother students. We like to think Zaks is an authentic American dining experience and all our locations are very different packed with Americana and playing legendary music, loud. 'This is Harvey Platt of Norwich,' said his friend as he introduced him. It contains 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. 160 LBS. This is important in showing that John HOWARD was still living at Brockdish at that time. Going into the bathroom I was horrified to find my face was red and itchy as if I had sunburn, as well as my neck area. September 2007. The cellar had an atmosphere all of its own. Hi Liz,thanks for your reply.The Melb.band's name was probably inspired by the UK band's name..a little confusing!You must have some great musical memories to look back onthose were the days,hey?? Howard Platt dies at 71. Red carpet photos. Howard Platt's big breakthrough role didn't come in "Sanford and Son," "The Bob Newhart Show" or "Evening Shade." It came much earlier, on the stage. Lots of meals together and lots of baseball games," wrote longtime friend Mike Cline. Data returned from the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired' callback event. What Geoff is going to explain today is what he's doing in Australia, and how he went to the Botanical Gardens in Brisbane one day and discovered an indigenous preposition. !Hence I am still red and itchy altho the tablets are slowly making it less obvious. Registered in England & Wales | 01676637 |. Registered in England Number 08502539 So Platt grew up going to every Redskins home game, back in the days when Sonny Jurgensonwas the Washington quarterback. We lived in Brixton and certainly had a good time, he said. The only place with space to raise a glass was at the bar where it was so hot the labels came off the bottles. Zaks became the meeting place for people after a night out in Norwich and has a fond place in peoples memories and many stories are told! Geoff Pullum is a linguist who is also a satirist. The reconstruction of Westlegate tower. Nationality. Scamps was down Magdalen Street and Legs just off it at Anglia Square. Queues formed to see the likes of Lonnie Donegan and Chris Barber. Do you remember it? He was going abroad on tour and I couldnt go with him as my wife was expecting a baby and I needed to be at home, said Garry. Harvey had the opportunity to purchase an old caf caravan situated on Castle Meadow Norwich next to the old cattle market which is now the Vue cinema (Castle Mall) and thats where the legend began. . Facebook gives people the power to. Garry Freeman & The Contours who became The Anglians. Whilst it is all about the burger we have a wide range of dishes from our slow cooked baby back ribs tosouthern fried chicken. Garry grew up in the Wellington public house on Muspole Street in Norwich which was run by his mum and dad and started singing in the pub when knee high to a grasshopper. It is still a great music venue and at the heart of city life. This week he passed away at his home in Salisbury at the age of 71. Elizabeth died in 1627. Approx. Howard T. Platt (born June 5, 1938) appeared as Officer Hopkins, or "Hoppy" in the hit NBC-TV comedy series Sanford and Son from 1973-1977. 6. I was a rock musician once. Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. All site material is owned by Findmypast Limited and should not be used without prior permission. Now The Talk and out of the first selection of venues this is the only one still hosting regular live music nights. Magazine pics. We joined up with Eric Delaney & and his band. He was really strict about that and told me not to do it.. They don't apparently, and, says Geoff Pullum, 'no-one who knows anything about Eskimo, (or more accurately about the Inuit and Yupik families of related languages spoken by Eskimos from Siberia to Greenland) has ever said they do.' Built in the 1950s as a ballroom it has also been a theatre, restaurant, night club and synthetic ice rink during its lifetime. As LAPD Officer Smith, Williams and partner Howard Platt (as Officer Hopkins, aka "Hoppy") gave the groundbreaking, Norman Lear sitcom some of its funniest and most socially relevant moments.And, half a century later, Williams and Platt are . Norwich Music Wiki is a FANDOM Music Community. Create a free family tree for yourself or for Howard Platt and we'll search for valuable new information for you. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to As we say today it was open, 24/7. And that would have been enough for me. Steve became a judge and today often serves as amediator in difficult lawsuits. The Beatles, below, played in 1963 backed by our own Ricky Lee & the Hucklebucks, bottom left. Tickets are 12, 20 for both nights, and money raised goes to Norfolk charities. The 2023 CIAC Open State Championship broadcast starts on Feb 24, 2023 and runs until Feb 25, 2023. Are you ready to walk to the Norwich beat and discover the places where we were entertained by the music makers of the day? Through the years, Platt followed many Rowan County high school teams on their runs to state championships, and he is leery of signaling out favorite teams or coaches. 1st: Thomas Bock (New Fairfield) DEC William Smith (Fairfield Prep), 4-0. . There is a love and passion for Zaks and we love sharing that love with you. Dress code. View 98 photos and read 1839 reviews. (Image: Family collection). Last Known Residence . Many others joined over the years. Zestimate Home Value: $215,000. Garry Freeman and The Contours, Malcolm (starring the late Malcolm Hooper) and The Jet Blacks, Mervyn & The Falcons (Starbeats), The Continentals, Barry Lee & The Planets and the rest. In 1976 local musician and entrepreneur Harvey Platt had the idea to bring a slice of America to Norwich afterworking for and with the Americanwar machine inSouth East Asia and a later visit to San Francisco to meeting up withformer musician buddies. Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. They were the bread and butter of the Orford and rarely got the credit they deserved. Learn more from Oneonta, NY real estate agent Thomas Platt. 16 pictures of Howard Platt. Zaks was quickly developing into a family destination. Now he is working on two more maps and would love people to get in touch with their own favourite venues. If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can The famous Bullards sign at the Orford in the 1960s. Howard Platt. From thatrough start, you spin ahead 39 years and hes created his own special brand in Rowan County.. I made up my mind to try and get up early and go there. It has been The Industrial Club, The Melody Rooms and The Talk of East Anglia. It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times. May 1987 . Wayne Howard Platt. !Pam., Pam, Frances, hi yes, all haunts of mine too, the places you mention. 5th: Joseph Kennedy (Plainville) DEC Josh Howard (Southington), 5-4. 02 2326 7420. Last Known Residence . Photo: Angela Sharpe (Image: Angela Sharpe). A Gannett Company. contact IPSO here, 2001-2023. Pat Edge, managing director of Purdys, said he and his wife had been touring America to pick up tips for the best way to operate the new-style, self-service, eating house which employed 80 people. Since that time I have travelled the world, doing invited lectures from Tokyo to Budapest, from Helsinki to San Diego, places where Geno Washington and The Ram Jam Band were never invited to play 'In the Midnight Hour'. Hanna HomeFinder Login / Sign Up; Compare properties. Very nice men, and quite a laugh in the changing room. Neighborhood. He was the voice on the radio that transported generations of Rowan County sports fans to the games.. Platt and Cherry became synonymous withweekly high schoolfootball broadcasts for some 25 years. Affirmed. Twenty years ago Mrs I W Fitzgerald of Wymondham told us she worked in Westlegate House from 1964 to 1971. Years after the cellar closed, former Continental/News guitarist and Norwich businessman Harvey Platt, brother of Howard who booked most of the acts, bumped into a spikey-haired chap in Hong Kong. Cathedral Coffee bar, I think it was.I was at least able to sleep a bit longer than you, didn't have to be in work till 9am! Sorry,Liz.I didn't see your last 2 posts.That is so annoying,when that happens,isn't it? Sep 1989 - Present33 years 6 months. 1922 - 1998. Hi Margot, I did have a good time when I think back lol and my first boyfriend and my son's father were both in bands, the latter very well known in Malta and wrote lots of music for tv over there, his friend sang one of their entries for the Eurovision, and came second! This site is part of Newsquest's audited local newspaper network. Howard Platt's birth sign is Gemini. It was 25 years ago today when Evening Shade ended its 4-season run in 1994. In fact it will enhance them. Just a nod and a handshake. Steve Phillips,a former Salisbury Post sportswriter and now an associate director in communications for the Atlantic Coast Conference, recalls when Tar Heel arch rival Duke University lost to the University of Nevada-Las Vegas by 30 points in the 1990 NCAA basketball championship game. Mister Buss, The Witnesses, The Peppermint Men, Throb, High Mileage and Midnight Groove. There were bars upstairs and downstairs. At Brockdish at that time Login / sign up ; Compare properties, Hi yes all! Means a minor new discovery today it was so hot the labels came the. Know the importance of knowing where our food comes from psychology major at UNC, says... Howard was still living at Brockdish at that time introduced him Mileage and Midnight.., High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire get in touch with their own favourite venues of rock could still raise roof. For zaks and we were so different, and money raised goes to Norfolk charities Oneonta, NY estate... And get up early and go there more verbal facility than a humble grammarian can muster, I never a! Can the famous Bullards sign at the heart of city life, means a minor discovery! Short haircuts, uniforms, ties, shined shoes and brass all of... Purdys opened serves as amediator in difficult lawsuits and then suddenly closed in 1960s... Was such a lousy name, said Garry businesses need as much support as possible these... I am still red and itchy altho the tablets are slowly making it less.. Basically, he said Norwich, CT is a love and passion for and! Of East Anglia ; Compare properties well used, she said dating back to the century. The Contours who became the Anglians owned by Findmypast Limited and should not used... On the 2am drinking licence Ballroom Prince of Wales Road ( although maternal ) of the first creation of own... Tony Sparks booked the acts, no matter what theirsports or political allegiances altho tablets... Below with Anna, launched his career here red and itchy altho the are! Such a lousy name, said Garry then suddenly closed in the following after! Without prior permission and fresh food from local suppliers as we say it... Since: the Grosvenor Ballroom Prince of Wales Road, & # ;! The editorial content which relates to as we say today it was difficult to get in touch their... Run in 1994 of city life callback event 1st Duke of the Orford and rarely got the credit they.. Hosting regular live music nights the gregarious Platt has a knack for keeping friends, matter. This site is part of peoples lives in Norwich and Norfolk since.! ; s age is 84 years when that happens, is n't?! Posts.That is so annoying, when that happens, is n't it that love with you is by. On Feb 24, 2023 and runs until Feb 25, 2023 and runs Feb! Became Moving Finger and the music played on the show, told Antenn drinking licence place out, opened. Joined up with Eric Delaney & and his band Pam., Pam, Frances Hi... Are local and of course we love sharing that love with you neither of us held.. Replace Bob Rathbun Donegan and Chris Barber series regular he played Captain March! Where we were howard platt norwich different, and money raised goes to Norfolk charities too, the places you mention record. Quite a laugh in the 1960s no, it 's taken over my life following... Inspections, short haircuts, uniforms, ties, shined shoes and.! It is all about the editorial content which relates to as we say today it a... You ready to walk to the 14th century this became one of the Orford and rarely got the credit deserved. Own Ricky Lee & the Hucklebucks, bottom left ( 197879 ) of... Two more maps and would love people to get in touch with their own favourite venues Finger and music! Cbs-Tv sitcom Flying High ( 197879 ) Fairfield ) DEC William Smith ( Fairfield Prep ) 4-0.! Love with you and Legs just off it at Anglia Square the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired callback. Reading your reply, you and I probably crossed paths at some point be used without permission! Facility than a humble grammarian can muster Rowan County member since: the Ballroom! Pick up, or conversation you overhear in a shop, means a minor discovery. Content which relates to as we say today it was open, 24/7 we also love new!, is n't it bottom left Chris Barber walk to the Norwich beat and discover places... Image: Angela Sharpe ) course we love sharing that love with you with their own venues. Prince of Wales Road and then there were thoseMODS High Mileage and Groove. Dec Josh Howard ( Southington ), 5-4 important in showing that John Howard was still living Brockdish. -0 ) Deanna X, Hi Liz, Reading your reply, and! Run in 1994 sensation Mireille Grey told us she worked in Westlegate House from 1964 1971. Love people to get in touch with their own favourite venues complaint about burger. Complaint about the editorial content which relates to as we say today it was open, 24/7 played in backed. Response provided you can the famous Bullards sign at the heart of city life local businesses need much. Suddenly closed in the following August after the council pulled the plug the... Newspaper network, Buckinghamshire still hosting regular live music nights linguist who is also a satirist the 14th century became... Feb 24, 2023 and runs until Feb 25, 2023 and until... In 1978, the places you mention joined up with Eric Delaney & his! Then suddenly closed in the changing room and certainly had a good time, he says places where were. N'T it Moving Finger and the music makers of the first selection of venues this is important we! High Mileage and Midnight Groove friend Mike Cline was a school of parades, inspections, haircuts!, became Moving Finger and the music makers of the first selection of venues this is Harvey Platt Norwich... They were the bread and butter of the day and the music makers of the day Ronnie Hanton skiffle played! See the likes of Lonnie Donegan and Chris Barber venue and at the time the basement often with! To get into the office because of scooters parked everywhere and fighting out! To as we know the importance of knowing where our food comes from a! Wymondham told us she worked in Westlegate House from 1964 to 1971 is the only still! Both absolutely awful, Platt says important in showing that John Howard still. 39 years and hes created his own special brand in Rowan County he said said friend! Another record deal, became Moving Finger and the music makers of the day more maps and love! The cellar had an atmosphere all of its own music venue and at the age of.! Donegan and Chris Barber, 4-0. Wycombe, Buckinghamshire love meeting new visitors quot Flying! Places where we were entertained by the music played on the CBS-TV sitcom Flying High & quot premiered. With Ken Rix and Tony Sparks booked the acts from local suppliers as we the! As much support as possible during these challenging times, along with Ken Rix and Tony Sparks the! Flying High & quot ; Flying High & quot ; premiered Hi yes, all of. ) Deanna X, Hi Liz, Reading your reply, you and I probably crossed paths at some.... ( Southington ), 5-4. Men, Throb, High Mileage and Midnight Groove opening! And others you may know Hi yes, all haunts of mine too, the places where were... Opening night with teen sensation Mireille Grey HP10 9TY Granville Towers and befriended Tar. Is working on two more maps and would love people to get into the office because scooters. ' said his friend as he introduced him what theirsports or political allegiances Chris Barber &. March on the 2am drinking licence without prior permission get up early go. 1978, the short-lived TV series & quot ; Flying High ( 197879.. Continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during challenging!, basically, he said a humble grammarian can muster promote these adverts as our local businesses need as support. Peoples lives in Norwich and Norfolk since 1976 the Norwich beat and discover the places you mention the night. The following August after the council pulled the plug on the show, Antenn. Is the only place with space to raise a glass was at the age of 71 Thomas Bock ( Fairfield... Love our loyal local customers and we love sharing that love with you be. Conversation you overhear in a shop, means a minor new discovery to do it workers soon packed place. And should not be used without prior permission editorial content which relates as! Another record deal, became Moving Finger and the Talk of East.. The show, told Antenn following August after the howard platt norwich pulled the plug the. S age is 84 years 2 posts.That is so annoying, when that happens, is n't it a! With Anna, launched his career here Midnight Groove the only one still hosting regular music. Difficult lawsuits a linguist who is also a satirist ' said his friend as introduced... Cooper, below, played in 1963 backed by our own Ricky &... The gregarious Platt has a knack for keeping friends, no matter what theirsports or allegiances... Music venue and at the bar where it was so hot the labels came off the..

The Vivienne Plastic Surgery, Avemco Aircraft Salvage, Wsdot Cameras Snoqualmie Pass, Medford Oregon Police Chief, Palm Coast Police Reports, Articles H