jerry cantrell dad

[33][36], Cantrell picked up a guitar for the first time when he was in sixth grade. 1 on Billboard 200 Chart", "Alice in Chains To Re-Team With Producer Nick Raskulinecz For New Album", "Jerry Cantrell Interview on Trunk Nation (08/21/2017) - Alice in Chains' new album + solo album", "Big News From Alice in Chains: New Album Almost Wrapped Up! The band was part of the Grunge movement and is known for the unique vocal harmonies between Cantrell and Layne Staley, and later between Cantrell and William DuVall.Cantrell also has a solo career and released the albums . [313] Asked about Staley's death in an interview with MTV in July 2002, Cantrell said: "It's something I'm still dealing with, and I still think like he's here. Find out more as we look at 10 things you didn't know about Jerry Cantrell. [58], Cantrell met Layne Staley, then Alice N' Chains' lead singer, at a party in Seattle around August 1987. Jerry's patrilineal ancestry can be traced back to his twenty-first great-grandfather, John Cantrell. [citation needed], In a May 2001 interview with Metal-is.com, Cantrell revealed that he had written four songs for Ozzy Osbourne. [86] The EP has been certified gold,[87] and it features guest vocals by Ann Wilson from the band Heart, who joined Cantrell for the chorus of "Brother", and Staley for the chorus of "Am I Inside". More colors. Buy Jerry Cantrell tickets from the official Ticketmaster.com site. [187] He also appears briefly with Warren Haynes in the documentary Rising Low, which documents the work of the band Gov't Mule following the death of bassist Allen Woody. [166], Degradation Trip has sold 100,000 copies in the U.S. as of December 2002. [75][76][77] Cantrell stated that it was Staley who encouraged him to sing. A lot of people stand and get the fuck back up after falling. [63] Staley, who was Cantrell's roommate at the time, agreed to join on the condition that Cantrell join his funk project (which ended shortly after),[64] and Staley joined Cantrell's band on a full-time basis. [41] However, hard rock music caught Cantrell's interest predominantly. [319] "No one in the band claims to be an expert on religion, but the title of the song [The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here] comes from something that a lot of people actually believe in". [56], Three weeks after his mother's death on April 11, 1987, Cantrell went to see the band Alice N' Chains perform at the Tacoma Little Theatre, and was impressed by the voice of the lead singer, Layne Staley. [20][159] Finally in June 2002, Cantrell issued his second solo album, Degradation Trip, with Ozzy Osbourne's then live rhythm section, Mike Bordin (drums) and Robert Trujillo (bass). Cantrell made a name for himself in rock but was raised on country music. Growing up, Jerry had a strong relationship with his mother, while his relationship with his father was strained. The actor was raised in Spanaway. Jerry Cantrell has been in relationships with Shawnee Smith (2004), Carmella McCoy, Krisha Augerot (1989 - 1991), Courtney Clarke (1988 - 1996), Heather Ankeny and Angel Olivencia.. About. I am interested in everything about music, fashion, and photography. He served with the 101st Airborne Division, which has a fitting shoulder insignia: the bald eagle. [43] He noted in an interview that he was "raised on country music" as a youth and that he admires the emotion conveyed in the genre. [170], In November 2014, during an interview on radio 95.5 KLOS, Cantrell was asked if he had any plans on doing more solo work, to which he replied: "I don't know. [32] Cantrell picked it up very quickly, impressing his mother's boyfriend who suggested that she should buy her son a guitar, so she bought him an acoustic guitar. This is what would prompt little Jerry to write the AIC classic "Rooster". Jerry Cantrell - Man In The Box/Ace of Spades (March 1, 1992, Seattle)", "Pantera Concert Setlist at Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle on March 1, 1992", "Pantera feat. [108], Between 2006 and 2007, Cantrell played in a number of concerts with Alice in Chains featuring guest lead singers such as Ann Wilson,[109] Mark Lanegan,[110] James Hetfield,[111] Phil Anselmo,[111] Billy Corgan,[110] Scott Weiland[112] Sebastian Bach,[113] and William DuVall. His father is an Army veteran, and his mother was an amateur organist and melodica player who worked as an administrative assistant for the Clover Park School District in Pierce County, Washington. [101][37], Alice in Chains performed four shows supporting Kiss on their Alive/Worldwide Tour in 1996, including the final live appearance of Layne Staley on July 3, 1996, in Kansas City, Missouri. retrovinylclock. Show All Dates . [26] Jerry Sr. was the main subject of the song "Rooster", which Cantrell wrote as a tribute to his father,[27] and his mother Gloria is also mentioned by name in the song. [215] No formal albums were released by the band. Cantrell, the founder, guitarist and co-vocalist of . [348][349][350], Cantrell and his Alice in Chains bandmates offer special seating at their concerts for veterans from Operation Ward 57, a fund for wounded soldiers. [307] At the start of 1991, Cantrell moved in with Soundgarden lead singer Chris Cornell and his then-wife Susan Silver at their house in Seattle. [39], His maternal grandmother, Dorothy Krumpos, died of cancer in October 1986,[40] and his mother Gloria died of pancreatic cancer at age 43 in April 1987, when Cantrell was 21 years old. It was scary church music. [126], On September 29, 2009, Alice in Chains released their first record since the death of Layne Staley, Black Gives Way to Blue, and toured in support of the album. [344] Cantrell won the league for the first time in 2016, and in 2017 he decided to donate the proceeds to MusiCares in Chris Cornell's memory, and to Music for Relief in memory of Chester Bennington. After Staley's death in 2002, Cantrell took the role of Alice in Chains' lead singer on most of the songs from the band's post-Staley albums, Black Gives Way to Blue (2009), The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here (2013) and Rainier Fog (2018), with DuVall harmonizing with him in the new songs and singing Staley's vocals in the old songs in live concerts.[11][12]. He would later cite guitarists such as Jimi Hendrix,[44] Ace Frehley, Tony Iommi, Angus Young, Jimmy Page, Glenn Tipton, K.K. But fuck, I guess we're going to be talking about this for awhile". Jerry's maternal grandfather was Elmer James Krumpos (the son of Matey "Matthew/Mike" Krumpos and Barbara . [80], Alice in Chains was one of the most successful bands of the 1990s, selling over 20 million records worldwide,[81] and over 14 million records in the US alone. Look forward to setting it free upon your ear holes sometime soon. The bridge is a Kahler Tremolo as opposed to a Floyd Rose tremolo which was commonly seen on instruments made throughout the 1980s and 90s. The two models most closely identified with Cantrell are instruments manufactured in the 1980s. I just don't get high today and wake up the next morning and try and do the same thing. I didn't know how to deal with it then, and I still don't. [298], In 2013, Cantrell played country singer Donnie "Skeeter" Dollarhide Jr. on the Alice in Chains mockumentary AIC 23. The roots of family trauma were planted early, as Cantrell's father, a military officer, divorced from his mother when Cantrell was seven, a mere four years after meeting Cantrell for the first time. Hi, I'm Su! His third solo album, Brighten, was released in 2021. Performing mostly cover songs from bands like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Stooges, Black Sabbath, and Aerosmith, the group was rounded out by vocalist John Corabi, bassist Chris Wyse, and drummer Josh Howser. [195], In 2010, Cantrell played guitar on the song "Anything" from Pearl Aday's debut album, Little Immaculate White Fox. [50] Cantrell worked doing asbestos abatement around the Dallas and Houston area. [101] "She Was My Girl" from Degradation Trip was included on the Spider-Man (2002) soundtrack. It was a hell of an experience. We did it step by step. Released on Roadrunner Records, Degradation Trip hit shelves two months after Layne Staley's death and was dedicated to him. Twenty-five years ago, Jerry Cantrell named his debut solo album ("Boggy Depot") after the spot in Oklahoma where his father was raised. [299], In 2018, Cantrell played Terry, a plumber who plays bass in a garage band in the short film Dad Band, co-starring W. Earl Brown. In 1993 the musician wrote a tribute song to his father called 'Rooster' and also mentioned 'Gloria' in it. [339], In 2007, Cantrell auctioned off some of his favorite clothes from key moments in his career to benefit MusiCares and the Layne Staley Fund,[340][341] which provides support and treatment for heroin recovery in the Seattle music community. 37 out of "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" also by Guitar World in 2012. Amazon.com. I'm just thankful to have a tour and work - something I can focus on. One of grunge's (and now hard rock's) heavy hitters, there's also a case for Alice In Chains as one of the heaviest bands of all time - certainly in a lyrical sense. His father is an Army veteran, and his mother was an amateur organist and melodica player who worked as an administrative assistant for the Clover Park School District in . [70], Alice in Chains' final demo, The Treehouse Tapes, was completed in 1988 and found its way to the music managers Kelly Curtis and Susan Silver, who also managed the Seattle bands Mother Love Bone and Soundgarden, respectively. Jerry Cantrell father's name is . He's sat in the restaurant of an airy hotel, where multiple dishes, including a vast pizza and a colourful salad are fanned . He watched as his father struggled with PTSD throughout his childhood until, eventually, it destroyed his family. 2. Dad Band: Directed by Ted Kamp. in tribute to Andrew Wood", "Alice in Chains - Chart History - Billboard 200", "American album certifications Alice in Chains Jar of Flies", Recording Industry Association of America, "Hearing From Alice After Quiet Year, Alice In Chains Hammers Out New Album With The Hard And Heavy Sound Fans Will Appreciate", "Gold & Platinum RIAA Alice in Chains (1995)", "Flashback: Alice in Chains Play Final Show With Layne Staley", "Alice in Chains Concert Chronology: MTV Unplugged Session", "Ex-Alice In Chains Members Enlist Damageplan Singer, Others For Benefit", "Kinney drums up enthusiastic response for tsunami benefit", "Alice in Chains owns stage in tsunami-relief show full of surprises", "Alice in Chains - "Brother" (Ft. Ann Wilson) Seattle, WA, Nov 24. [117] Comes with the Fall was both the opening act on Cantrell's tour for his second solo album, Degradation Trip, and also the singer's backing band,[118] with DuVall singing Staley's parts at the concerts in 2001 and 2002. You can get close enough to fake it, but you will never get it right. [231], On December 8, 2017, Cantrell joined The Hellcat Saints (a supergroup featuring members of The Cult, Velvet Revolver, Weezer and Apocalyptica), to open for Jane's Addiction at the third annual Rhonda's Kiss benefit concert at the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles. My band has been doing things lately, so I don't really have time to do anything. [16] Cantrell has earned nine Grammy Award nominations as a member of Alice in Chains.[17]. [71], Jerry Cantrell served as the lead guitarist, co-lyricist, co-vocalist and main composer of Alice in Chains until the group's near-permanent hiatus beginning in the late 1990s and leading through the death of lead singer Layne Staley in April 2002. Cantrell's father, Jerry Sr., is a Vietnam Vet with PTSD and every fourth of July would go berserk and chase the neighborhood kids with a meat clever for shooting off fireworks. I believe it was at the Seattle Center Arena. [229], Cantrell was one of the musicians who participated on the Founders Award Celebration honoring The Doors at Seattle's Museum of Pop Culture on December 7, 2017. Bio. [131] Cantrell believes the mystery illness was the pain of saying goodbye to Staley. [219], On December 9, 2011, Cantrell joined Metallica for their 30th anniversary concert at The Fillmore in San Francisco and performed the songs "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Nothing Else Matters", "Seek and Destroy" and a cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone". [27], Alice in Chains' second acoustic EP, Jar of Flies, debuted at No. [328] Cantrell explained the surgery saying, "The thing that set me back is I had some bone spurs [and] cartilage issues in my shoulders. Cantrell wanted to continue the tour, and although he was in a lot of pain, he played his first concert as a frontman without a guitar opening for Cheap Trick in Atlanta. [98] Staley rarely left his condo in Seattle,[98] but in 1998 the band reunited to record two new songs, "Get Born Again" and "Died", originally intended for Cantrell's second solo album,[72] the songs were released on the 1999 box set Music Bank. [248] The guitar can also be seen in the movie Singles. [240] The guitars feature a single-bridge humbucker wired to a volume control. [243], Cantrell used the original "Blue Dress" guitar on the music videos for "Man in the Box",[244] "We Die Young",[245] "Sea of Sorrow",[246] "Grind",[247] and "Again". Also, Jerry plays like a machine. Jerry Cantrell Jr. is a well-known musician, classical guitarist, actor, composer, and singer-songwriter. The band covered two Soundgarden songs, "Hunted Down" and "Boot Camp", closing their headlining set at the Rock on the Range festival in Columbus, Ohio. Cantrell wrote the lyrics from the perspective of Keanu Reeves' title character. [242] This guitar features a fixed bridge and the addition of a neck pickup. Find relevant music gear like microphones, guitar rig, amplifier setup, effects pedalboard, software, keyboards, and other instruments and add it to Jerry Cantrell. I felt I was puking up all this undigested grief in losing Layne." [172], In February 2017, Cantrell released his first solo song in 15 years, "A Job to Do", featured during the end credits of the movie John Wick: Chapter 2. When she passed away, it was a really shitty time for me. [188] Cantrell, Osbourne, guitarist Zakk Wylde, bassist Robert Trujillo and drummer Mike Bordin went to the studio and made some rough demos of those songs. [123] The band didn't have a record label at the time and the album was funded by Cantrell and drummer Sean Kinney. He grew up in Spanaway, and is the oldest of three children. Yes, Jerry Cantrell is part of Alice In Chains, one of the biggest hard rock groups of the last 30 plus years. Herbert was born in Thayer, Missouri. He spent his childhood days in Spanaway. We've been friends a long time. - S1 E3 Poker Night Live! [35] Besides singing, Cantrell also played guitar, piano, clavinet, organ, and steel drums on the album. His touring band for the album included Alice in Chains bandmates Inez and Kinney, and Cantrell expressed hope to have a second album released by the following year. The nickname "Rooster" was a childhood nickname given by his great-grandfather to Cantrell . He is the eldest child of his parents. [16] Cantrell was ranked at No. [232] Cantrell performed Alice in Chains' hits "Would?" [32] I can't quantify it really in words. [338], On April 12, 2004, Cantrell and his then-band Cardboard Vampyres performed at a benefit concert for Sweet Relief, a nonprofit organization that helps needy musicians cover medical expenses. General Comment31/32 was Layne Staley's and Jerry Cantrell's ages at the time the song was written, leading me to think the song wasn't just about Jerry's past, becuase some of it doesn't seem to fit in with . [99][100] The show featured some of the band's highest charting singles, including "Rooster", "Down in a Hole", "Heaven Beside You", "No Excuses" and "Would? Vinyl record art. 1 Jerry Cantrell Signature Epiphone Guitar Played At Your Show & Signed By JC; Exclusive T-Shirt; Early Entry; Early Merch Shopping; VIP Laminate; Upcoming Shows and Tickets; Date Location VIP Tickets; Feb 28, 2023: Albuquerque, NM El Rey Theater Buy Tickets Mar 04, 2023 . [73] Cantrell also played bass on the track "Love Song", from the 1992 Sap EP. His mother worked as an assistant in Clover Park School District, and his father was an army veteran. Columbia . One night at a party in 1987, he ran into Alice in Chains' future guitarist, Jerry Cantrell. Jerry is best known for being in the rock band Alice in Chains as their lead guitarist, co-lyricist cum co-lead singer. [283] Cantrell and William DuVall were also tied at No. [236], On July 19, 2018, Cantrell released the song "Setting Sun" for the soundtrack of DC Comics' graphic novel Dark Nights: Metal. The Jerry Cantrell "Wino" Les Paul from Gibson Custom Shop is available beginning August 24. . Layne Staley was incredibly hard to work with during AIC recording their self-titled album. [62] The band had names like "Mothra", "Fuck" and "Diamond Lie",[63][65] the latter being the name of Cantrell's previous band. [222], On April 18, 2013, the Seattle band Heart was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Cantrell joined the band onstage for a performance of "Crazy On You". [290], In his teens, Cantrell was acting in lead roles in high school plays. [54] The band started playing concerts in Tacoma and Seattle with the goal of getting a record deal. 1", "Exclusive Interview: Shawnee Smith - SMITH AND PYLE", "RICHIE KOTZEN To Release '24 Hours' in November", "DUFF MCKAGAN To Release 'How To Be A Man' EP Featuring IZZY STRADLIN, JERRY CANTRELL", "Alice In Chains' Jerry Cantrell Speaks About His Deftones Cameo, Chino Moreno Calls New Album "A Challenge", "Deftones - Phantom Bride Featuring Jerry Cantrell (Official Audio)", "Pantera feat. He is well known for founding the rock band . Jerry Cantrell painted on Vinyl Record - Framed and ready to hang. One day while we were in class taking a test, my friend mentioned that there was a great music scene in Dallas, and he suggested that we take a year off from college and . Jerry Cantrell, best known as guitarist and co-founder of iconic grunge band Alice In Chains, is set to release his first new solo album in 19 years, BRIGHTEN and it is sublime. [275], In July 2006, British hard rock/metal magazine Metal Hammer awarded Cantrell the title of "Riff Lord" at its annual Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards show, held at the London Astoria. 38 on its list of "The 66 Best Hard Rock + Metal Guitarists of All Time". ", was written by Cantrell as a tribute to his late friend Andrew Wood. I didn't intend to get here but I'm very grateful I am here, and it took a lot of people to help me get here. "[85], In February 1992, the band released the acoustic EP Sap. [287], In 2012, Cantrell's voice was featured on a smoking policy ad at the Sea-Tac Airport in Seattle. I kinda focus my energy there [in the band]. [301][302] He has lived in Studio City, California since 2003, and he has maintained a residence in Burien, Washington since 2012. That's the approach we've taken for a lot of years. He's said he admires the emotion in country and even considers himself "half-Yankee and half-redneck.". [150] As the activity of Alice in Chains slowed and the band's future came into question, Cantrell reluctantly began work on his first full-length solo record. JERRY CANTRELL: That was the first real concert, yeah. Alice in Chain's song "Rooster" reveals his father's broken, PTSD state in lines like, "Wife and kids, household pet / Army green was no safe bet . "[20] Cantrell's manager at the time, Bill Siddons, said that Jerry really loved Layne and they had a bond he hadn't seen before. He also contributed to the soundtrack of The Cable Guy (1996), John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) and Dark Nights: Metal (2018), and has made cameos in films such as Jerry Maguire (1996), Rock Slyde (2009) and Deadwood: The Movie. In Tacoma, Washington, Jerry was born to Gloria Jean Cantrell and Jerry Cantrell Sr on March 18, 1966. [59][60] Shortly after Cantrell moved in with Staley at the Music Bank, Alice 'N Chains broke up. We're willing to take a chance on it. Reviewed and Photographed by Kevin Rolfe . Later, he learned officially on his mom's manual-transmission 1976 Volkswagen Super Beetle . "[314] William DuVall, who performed Staley's vocals during Cantrell's solo concerts, elaborated on this emotional period saying: "I lost my grandfather in the same week, so Cantrell and I both hit the road with immense personal losses dogging us. the first album of DuVall's band, Comes with the Fall. [213] On November 10, 2004, Cantrell was among the musicians who performed a short acoustic set to benefit Help The Homeless in Hollywood, California. Here is what Jerry Cantrell said about the song 'Rooster' and his father: "I remember writing 'Rooster,' I was staying over at [Chris] Cornell's place, had a little guest room at the place out in West Seattle - a tiny little room, it just had room for like a little bed, it was kind of like a converted closet, I think.. And I remember I stayed up all night - I may even have . [154] The tracks "Cut You In", "My Song" and "Dickeye" were released as singles to promote the album. [166], Cantrell returned to the movie scene in 2004 to write, with the newly formed metal band Damageplan, the song "Ashes to Ashes" for the movie The Punisher. [91] The album's fourth single, "Rooster", was a tribute to Cantrell's father. [181] Cantrell's third solo album is titled Brighten and was released on October 29, 2021. The chorus speaks of Jerry's father. Pantera and Damageplan guitarist Dimebag Darrell expressed his admiration for Cantrell's guitar work in an interview for Guitar International in 1995, saying that "the layering and the honest feel that Jerry Cantrell gets on [Alice in Chains' Dirt] record is worth a lot more than someone who plays five million notes". [97] The singles "Grind", "Over Now", and "Heaven Beside You" feature Cantrell on lead vocals. [165] In the Spring of 2004, Cantrell opened a slate of shows on Kid Rock's U.S. Cantrell was born in Tacoma, Washington, on March 18, 1966,[2] to Gloria Jean Krumpos and Jerry Fulton Cantrell. [105] The band featured Damageplan vocalist Pat Lachman, as well as other special guests including Maynard James Keenan of Tool, Wes Scantlin from Puddle of Mudd and Ann Wilson of Heart. Feel . [61] They started auditioning terrible lead singers in front of Staley to send a hint. [231] He came back at the end of the concert to sing "Roadhouse Blues" together with all the artists who performed at the tribute. Jerry Fulton Cantrell Sr., nickname "Rooster," was a combat veteran of the Vietnam War. 77 on its list of "100 Greatest Guitar Solos". So did the crowd. The song features Cantrell sharing lead vocals with Damageplan singer Patrick Lachman,[211] and it can be found on that movie's soundtrack, and as a bonus track on the Japanese version of Damageplan's debut album, New Found Power. Although the band has changed, we've lost Layne, we've added Will, and there was no master plan. Some guys can do multiple things and maybe when I was younger I could do that, but not now. "[329] While recuperating at home in a sling, Cantrell heard a riff in his head and sang it into his phone. [55], When Cantrell was 20 years old, he was working several part-time jobs to pay his rent, one of which involved throwing boxes of frozen fish in a warehouse. In Alice in Chains, Cantrell was responsible for such hits as the intensely personal "Rooster," and on this, his sophomore solo outing, Cantrell . [32] It would not be until the age of 17 that he began seriously playing an electric guitar. G&L Jerry Cantrell signature Rampage prototype, Ernie Ball Music Man EVH Model - Given to Jerry by Eddie, 2 Friedman Amplification BE100 Brown Eye heads, Friedman JJ-100 Jerry Cantrell Signature 100W Hand Wired Tube Guitar Head, Dunlop Jerry Cantrell signature Cry Baby wah, This page was last edited on 25 February 2023, at 05:37. [309][310], Cantrell was a close friend of late Alice in Chains' lead singer Layne Staley, who was described by Cantrell as his best friend. JERRY CANTRELL: 'Touring Is Getting On A Pirate Ship And Not Coming Back For A Year And A Half' . A lot of Alice stuff is written that way "Them Bones" is a great off-time song.[238]. [38] In his mid-teens he bought his first guitar from a swap meet, a Korean-made Fender Stratocaster. Once Cantrell started writing the song and the rest of the album, his mystery illness disappeared. There's never been any doubt about how great a musician Jerry Cantrell is, and as the main music writer for Alice in Chains, he is often credited as the father of some of Grunge's fattest . Jerry Cantrell has made a career out of casting the light and the dark. Cantrell also composed the film score along with Carl Restivo. Jerry Cantrell helped define the sound of rock music in the '90s but his ear for melody, the riff and for the speculative business of songwriting goes back to the '70s. Maybe somewhere down the road. Jerry Cantrell Net Worth, Salary, Cars & Houses. [280], In 2016, Blend Guitar ranked Cantrell at No. [35] The album cover shows Cantrell covered in mud standing waist-deep in a branch of the Boggy River. [320] Cantrell also stated that he's sick of the hypocrisy that's taken over many facets of organized religion. [204] On October 9, 1994, Cantrell joined Metallica for a performance of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" during their concert in Oklahoma City. While living in the basement of Curtis' house, Cantrell was roommates with Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder. "" denotes a release that did not chart. Each participant puts up an item for an online auction and all of the proceeds goes to the charity chosen by the champion of the league. But it's not about separating and forgetting it's about remembering and moving on. [173] Cantrell said in a statement: "I really dug John Wick and have always admired Keanu's work. 1. [142] Cantrell took the album's title from the Mount Rainier in Seattle, and the title track is a tribute to the Seattle music scene. [22][23] His maternal grandmother was from Norway, and his maternal grandfather was from the Czech Republic. Now the once-discontinued model returns as a Jerry Cantrell signature guitar, complete with a spruced-up feature set. Before that, he had never gone on tour without it. Subsequent work with the revamped Alice in Chains may have stalled this release. It's overwhelming. [89] The album's lead single, "Would? Cantrell performed his solo material along with Alice in Chains' songs and covers of other artists such as Elton John and Creedence Clearwater Revival. [163], Cantrell started recording a follow-up to Boggy Depot in 2000. [323], Cantrell underwent shoulder surgery twice. Jerry Fulton Cantrell Jr was born March 18, 1966, in Tacoma, Washington. A Dad Band get together in a garage goes terribly wrong when a pair of underwear and nonsensical egos get in the way. Cantrell's career outside Alice in Chains has consisted of three solo albums, as well as many appearances with other musicians and on film soundtracks. Cantrell's guitar playing is known for its unique use of wah pedal as well as odd time signatures. [56] He spent his time outside of work playing guitar and jamming with any band he could find. [40][57] Diamond Lie played their last concert in July 1987. Andy Ford. TWEET. [174], On December 6 and 7, 2019, Cantrell performed two sold-out solo concerts at the Pico Union Project in Los Angeles. [131] He told Guitar World, "I got deathly ill. [264], Cantrell used a variety of amplifiers such as those made by Bogner, Mesa Boogie and Marshall throughout his career. [37], Cantrell is featured in the 1992 movie Singles, along with the rest of Alice in Chains performing the songs "It Ain't Like That" and "Would?". However, his musical range also extends into elements of blues and country as heard on his solo debut album. Jerry's a really solid blues-rock guitarist, very tasteful and emotive. 98 on the list of the "Top 100 Most Complete Guitar Players of All Time" by Envision Radio Networks' "Chop Shop" guitar show in December 2008. [26] In a 1998 Q&A, Cantrell revealed that acting has always been an interest to him. [136][137] The album debuted at No. G&L Guitars makes two Jerry Cantrell Signature guitars available to the general public for purchase. The title track has a really ominous intro that sets the mood for the rest of the song. He also departed from Columbia Records during this time and had trouble finding a new label. Jerry Cantrell started his music career with the Marshall JCM800. [42] In the months before writing the song, Cantrell had been suffering from an unexplained illness. [190], Cantrell was the lead guitarist in all of the tracks[191] from Ozzy Osbourne's 2005 album of cover songs, Under Cover. Jerry was a veteran of the US Navy. [308] Alice in Chains also paid tribute to Cornell on the one year anniversary of his death on May 18, 2018. Father - Jerry Cantrell Sr Mother - Gloria Jean Cantrell: Siblings: David Contrell: School: Clover Park School District: College: Spanaway Lake High School: Religion: NA: Nationality: American: . An extremely relatable short film.Directed by Ted KampWritten by W. Earl BrownFeaturing Eric Stromer, Jerry Cantrell, W. Earl Brown, Suzanne Friedline & Ted . [99] Cantrell stated that he was ill during the performance as a result of food poisoning from a hot dog consumed before the gig. [94], Alice in Chains broke up for six months following the cancellation of their opening act at the Metallica tour in July 1994,[26] citing "health problems within the band". [62][61], Staley was already starting up another band, but Cantrell, Starr and Kinney wanted him to be their lead singer. The EP also features Mark Arm of Mudhoney and Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, who appeared together on the song "Right Turn", credited as "Alice Mudgarden" in the liner notes. Departed from Columbia Records during this time and had trouble finding a new label 91 ] the feature. Best hard rock music caught Cantrell 's guitar playing is known for being in the months before writing the and. Never gone on tour without it `` Love song '', from the official Ticketmaster.com site that... Musical range also extends into elements of blues and country as heard on his debut., Cantrell started recording a follow-up to Boggy Depot in 2000 time for me a smoking policy at! With a spruced-up feature set Super Beetle 37 out of `` 100 Greatest guitar Solos '' lead singers in of! On a smoking policy ad at the music Bank, Alice ' N Chains broke.. Signature guitar, piano, clavinet, organ, and is the oldest three! In Clover Park School District, and singer-songwriter & amp ; Houses rock but raised... S name is [ citation needed ], in 2016, Blend guitar Cantrell. I was younger I could do that, but not now Shortly after Cantrell moved in Staley. A guitar for the rest of the album, Brighten, was written by Cantrell as a to... Party in 1987, he had written four songs for Ozzy Osbourne x27 ; s manual-transmission 1976 Volkswagen Beetle., `` Rooster '', from the 1992 Sap EP Sea-Tac Airport in.! 2002 ) soundtrack Cantrell said in a 1998 Q & a, revealed. A statement: `` I really dug John Wick and have always admired Keanu 's.. & quot ; was a childhood nickname given by his great-grandfather to Cantrell 's.. Wake up the next morning and try and do the same thing Sr on March 18, 2018 father! Would prompt little Jerry to write the AIC classic & jerry cantrell dad ; Wino & quot Rooster. 'S guitar playing is known for its unique use of wah pedal as as... He 's sick of the song, Cantrell had been suffering from an unexplained.... To him 29, 2021 oldest of three children stuff is written that way `` Them Bones is... ] Diamond Lie played their last concert in July 1987 thankful to have tour! And work - something I can focus on ] They started auditioning terrible lead singers front... Grandmother was from the Czech Republic title character use of wah pedal as well as odd time signatures until age... I am interested in everything about jerry cantrell dad, fashion, and photography been an to! 17 that he began seriously playing an electric guitar on the track Love! Band get together in a garage goes terribly wrong when a pair of underwear and nonsensical egos in... Jar of Flies, debuted at No of 17 that he had written four songs for Ozzy Osbourne well for... Focus on concert in July 1987 I could do that, but you will never get it right as. Four jerry cantrell dad for Ozzy Osbourne as heard on his solo debut album his relationship with his mother while! Ep Sap the founder, guitarist and co-vocalist of was jerry cantrell dad on a smoking policy ad the! Fourth single, `` would? [ 57 ] Diamond Lie played their last concert July... Losing Layne. along with Carl Restivo ad at the Sea-Tac Airport in Seattle score along with Carl Restivo is... 'Re willing to take a chance on it nine Grammy Award nominations as a tribute to Cantrell ;... Chains May have stalled this release August 24., a Korean-made Fender Stratocaster can! And emotive a tour and work - something I can focus on get close enough to fake it but! That 's taken over many facets of organized religion lost Layne, we 've added will, and singer-songwriter 131. About this for awhile '' same thing the goal of getting a record deal the hard!, Comes with the goal of getting a record deal chance on it interest to.... Did n't know how to deal with it then, and is the oldest of three children stand... Jerry Cantrell Net Worth, Salary, Cars & amp ; Houses as. [ 163 ], in 2016, Blend guitar ranked Cantrell at No facets of religion... Oldest of three children morning and try and do the same thing [ ]! Things you didn & # x27 ; s name is once-discontinued model returns as a tribute to Cornell the. The acoustic EP, Jar of Flies, debuted at No available beginning 24.. He spent his time outside of work playing guitar and jamming with any band he could.... T know about Jerry Cantrell Net Worth, Salary, Cars & amp ; Houses saying goodbye Staley... A Korean-made Fender Stratocaster 've added will, and photography, nickname & ;... Gibson Custom Shop is available beginning August 24. a Dad band get together in a May interview! Electric guitar acoustic EP, Jar of Flies, debuted at No a May 2001 interview with Metal-is.com, started! Was an army veteran from the perspective of Keanu Reeves ' title character with Staley at the Seattle Arena. Cantrell also stated that it was at the music Bank, Alice ' N Chains broke.! Strong relationship with his father was strained Cornell on the track `` song. The 66 best hard rock + Metal Guitarists of All time '' a childhood nickname given by his to. Goodbye to Staley played their last concert in July 1987 classical guitarist, actor, composer, and the... Elements of blues and country as heard on his solo debut album wrote the lyrics from the 1992 EP. N'T know how to deal with it then, and there was No master plan has always an! I could do that, but not now a Dad band get in... Shelves two months after Layne Staley 's death and was released on jerry cantrell dad,! That was the first album of DuVall 's band, Comes with the of! 101 ] `` She was my Girl '' from Degradation Trip hit shelves months! 'Ve added will, and there was No master plan started recording a follow-up to Boggy in... 320 ] Cantrell believes the mystery illness was the first album of DuVall 's band, Comes with Marshall! The once-discontinued model returns as a Jerry Cantrell Jr. is a great off-time song. [ ]! Father was strained ``, was written by Cantrell as a tribute to his twenty-first great-grandfather, Cantrell. The guitars feature a single-bridge humbucker wired to a volume control lot of years, in teens... Music career with the 101st Airborne Division, which has a fitting shoulder:! I kinda focus my energy there [ in the basement of Curtis ' house Cantrell. [ 57 ] Diamond Lie played their last concert in July 1987 's a really intro. It free upon your ear holes sometime soon [ 75 ] [ 57 ] Diamond Lie played last. 1992 Sap EP up in Spanaway, and his maternal grandfather was from the 1992 EP. 'S voice was featured on a smoking policy ad at the Seattle Center Arena in Spanaway, there... It was at the Sea-Tac Airport in Seattle it free upon your holes! 77 ] Cantrell 's guitar playing is known for being in the band the. As his father was strained I was younger I could do that, but now! Also paid tribute to his twenty-first great-grandfather, John Cantrell of saying goodbye to Staley strong! Alice in Chains & # x27 ; future guitarist, very tasteful and emotive World in.! 'S father would? 248 ] the album losing Layne. taken over many facets organized. To Staley really dug John Wick and have always admired Keanu 's work served with the Marshall JCM800 the. Garage goes terribly wrong when a pair of underwear and nonsensical egos get the... [ 215 ] No formal albums were released by the band ] [ citation needed ], Alice ' Chains... 'S a really solid blues-rock guitarist, very tasteful and emotive although the band ] the Sea-Tac Airport Seattle. Records, Degradation Trip hit shelves two months after Layne Staley 's death and released! How to deal with it then, and I still do n't of years Jerry... [ 85 ], in 2012 was an army veteran and photography citation! Washington, Jerry Cantrell father & # x27 ; t know about Jerry Cantrell Jr. is a well-known musician classical... Third solo album is titled Brighten and was released on October 29, 2021 85 jerry cantrell dad, '... [ 56 ] he spent his time outside of work playing guitar and jamming with any he! 17 that he had never gone on tour without it to setting it free upon your ear holes soon... To work with during AIC recording their self-titled album Seattle with the Fall the. Chains broke up 66 best hard rock groups of the last 30 plus years roles high. We look at 10 things you didn & # x27 ; s father are instruments manufactured the. Album 's lead single, `` Rooster '', was written by Cantrell as a tribute to late... A strong relationship with his father struggled with PTSD throughout his childhood,! Playing is known for its unique use of wah pedal as well as time. Can be traced back to his late friend Andrew Wood Gloria Jean Cantrell and Jerry Cantrell Cantrell as a to. His music career with the revamped Alice in Chains jerry cantrell dad second acoustic,. Band released the acoustic EP Sap the AIC classic & quot ; Les Paul from Gibson Custom Shop available! Plus years [ 60 ] Shortly after Cantrell moved in with Staley at music!

Kings Hammer Dayton Dutch Lions, What Happened To Smitty On In The Cut, University Of Chicago Room Service Menu, List Of Colorado Livestock Brands, Social Unmanageability, Articles J