romanian gypsy superstitions

Dressing themselves in bright clothing and practicing fortunetelling, the Roma quickly attracted the ire of the Roman Catholic Church, but also the allure of the forbidden. . Some Romani follow a Christian denomination while others are Muslim. Punishment can include a loss of reputation and, in extreme cases, expulsion from the Romani community. I was in Romania for about 3 years.always wondered why people would always take my purse off floor and put it on table and tell me no good. Despite the contemporary lifestyle, there are so many Romanian traditions that managed to successfully endure the test of time. more information Accept. During spring, if you go to a party, take a sip of water. To earn a living today, gypsies might weave furniture, make bricks, resell clothing and goods, or trade horses, but employment is typically a side note in their existence. Marriage signifies a change in position of the married couple in Roma society as full and productive members of the community. . Make sure you never leave a knife with the sharp part upward on the table: this means that there will be a huge scandal in your family! Nevertheless, it seems 16 centuries of history of the Gypsy people are difficult to completely erase, and the ancient lifestyle survives to this day: A People Without a Country: The Gypsies. They could at least be crafty but they aren't. But the stigma surrounding the Roma people works both for and against the witches. You are only supposed to give an uneven number of flowers. Its also considered bad luck to burn bread or flour on Sundays as they are sacred days of rest. Being marime or coming into contact with marime things can cause a range of conditions including bad luck, sickness, disease and death. Haha, my grandma told me plenty of these growing up. 10. Walsh says that while Romany Gypsies are superstitious - and do accept beliefs such as the good luck of black cats and horseshoes or the tradition that . The Romani language is. English Travelers: Fairly amorphous group, possibly formed along same lines as Roaders (see below), but taking shape already in England before . Dreaming About Dead Relatives Spiritual Significance, Interpretation & Meaning, White Moths & The Spiritual Meaning and Symbolism, What It Means When Your Feet Itch Spiritual & Superstitions, Itchy nose meaning Superstition or Omen, The Boondock Saints Prayer Everything You Need to Know. Throwing it out any earlier would give me bad luck in the form of a fine However, maybe its true and offsets the money I was due to receive for perpetually spilling my coffee. The word means 'god-given' or ' gift of God .'. 35. Company registered in England & Wales, no. One that goes for both claims that if you dont eat all the food on your plate, you will marry an ugly person. Dolores Smyth writes on faith and family. I regret not buying her plant cuttings to help her as she had little means of support and looked quite poor. If you spill coffee, you will receive money. Babys nails should never be cut until the age of one, or else he will become a thief. 15. If your nose it itching, though, it means that somebody will beat you up. Romany people avoid talking badly about ill people because we believe that illnesses can be attracted to us by the power of the mind. Other legends include the ability to levitate, travel through astral projection by way of meditation, invoke curses or blessings, conjure or channel spirits, and skill with illusion-casting. Reading these superstitions just reminded me of him. Pilgrimages still take place every year at the Church of Les Saintes Maries and Gypsies from all over Europe congregate together. Submitted by gtadmin on Mon, 02/06/2012 - 14:42. Romani folklore encompasses the folktales, myths, oral traditions, and legends of the Romani people. . If my grandmother had an illness and then I caught it, she would believe I got ill because I didnt give her enough sympathy. You will also not get married if somebody will brush your feet with a broomstick. The Romani people have a strong sense of family, but also believe in the importance of respecting other families as well. For example, once a Romani/gypsy girl reaches puberty, shes expected to wear long skirts and dresses. Barbaneagra. If you sing at the table, you will marry a drunk. Man, seems like anything you say or do could bring you bad luckha, ha! Its weird, I know, but people from different corners of the country really believe in these superstitions. Among these traditions are the Romas inclusion of extended family members, respect for the elderly, and sense of solidarity. If you sing before 7 AM, you will cry before 11 PM. Gypsy families often fight with each other and are very territorial about their land. An itching of the right eye means sadness. Italy, France, and Slovakia. If you have an itchy right foot, you will leave on a journey. The practice of "gypsy magic" emphasizes fortune-telling, the use of charms, healing and protection spells. Many of these were recited in my non-Romanian family.. It brings me no pleasure to say it especially since I know that theres no way they make sense but some of the ones listed above are part of my life too. They also think that if a girl is born in April, she will be unlucky for the rest of her life, and will never marry or have children. To see a shooting star is a sign of death. If 13 people sit at a table, one of them will surely die before the end of the year. 31. Based on discrimination against the Roma coupled with their migratory culture, school attendance and literacy rates among Romanies have traditionally been low. Never wish Good luck to a fisherman. I loved reading this. If it rains at your wedding, it means you will have a happy marriage. I cant think of anymore right now, but Im sure there are more. If youre moving to a new house and dont bring with you the old broom, you will only have bad luck. In 2010, around 205,000 Gypsies lived in the Russian Federation and that number has been growing because of a high birth rate. Gypsies are primarily known for their colorful clothing, horses, and caravans, but also have a deep culture of family values and traditions. In fact, one Gypsy may consider another Gypsy not to actually be a Gypsy if they do not follow our, set rules and customs. 4. This folklore-related article is a stub. Im from Mexico, currently, Im learning the Romanian language. We propose to investigate how family events such as weddings, funerals, engagements, and child birth are celebrated. This means that all ladies will love you (sorry, ladies, this seems to be a man-only thing! As for which of these we actually believe in, I think this is a matter of perspective. I dont wanna look stupid then! These made me laugh I was constantly told Id wet the bed if I played with fire as a child. This is what happens when you are taught some things since you are young: you dont want to risk it, although deep inside you know that its nothing but nonsense. The word gypsy originated in the 16th century and meant Egyptian, since Romanies were initially believed to be from Egypt. Haha! A black cat crossing your path brings bad luck, and so does a priest you meet on the road. If your palm is itching it means that you will either receive some money or you will get beaten Again, WTF?!?!? There are many things about Romania that youve probably havent heard about, but nothing more colorful than its mindblowing superstitions. Never give the last cigarette from your pack because this means giving away your wife. A cat sitting on someones grave means that persons soul has arrived in hell. Contrary to popular belief, Romany life is anything but carefree. Superstitions. Romani funeral traditions are characterized by abundance. But worry not, if you say God Forbid! (Doamne Fereste!) Romani includes various distinct dialects, all of which derivefrom Sanskrit and are closely related to Indias Hindi language. If I could do it over again I would have bought it! 21. The literal translation of this Romanian last name is 'black beard.'. In most cases, Easter is a time when both the rich and poor of a Gypsy community can come together to celebrate. Most Roma speak some form of Romany, a language closely related to the modern Indo-European languages of northern India, as well as the major language of the country in which they . 61. If you kill the bee, then the visit will be an unpleasant one and bad luck will haunt you all day. When you sew a cloth while wearing it, you need to keep a small piece of thread in your mouth, or else you will sew your mind. lol I love Romania! One of the most famous superstitions is that if you are carrying your handbag, it will make any woman or child who passes you by give birth to a baby girl. Cale: Spanish Gypsies, or Gitanos, are found primarily in the metropolitan centers of the East and West coasts. Me, I like a nice breeze to wick up sweat on a hot, humid day. They also believe the gossip will come back to them three times as strong; this is why they never gossip. I just tried to look up a phrase in Romanian and stumbled on the superstitions! Horseshoes are considered lucky for Gypsies. 4. 17. 16. If you sing at the table, you will marry a drunk. The traditions of Gypsy weddings go back a long way. The Roma also have their own internal system of self-governanceto address accusations of misconduct. If you have a distant relative who is a Gypsy, this does not mean we would consider you to be one too. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. If you write an exam with the same pen with which you have prepared yourself for the exam, the pencil will remember the answers. If you brag about a bad event not happening. They do share some similarities with regard to traditions . Last edited on 13 February 2023, at 16:46, Learn how and when to remove this template message, The Red King and the Witch: Gypsy Folk and Fairy Tales, "Moses Gaster i colecia sa de poveti populare ale iganilor din Romnia", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Romani_folklore&oldid=1139148777, Baro Kari: in Romani language meaning (Big Human Penis), see, Trushul: The Romany word for "cross". Gypsies are primarily known for their colorful clothing, horses, and caravans, but also have a deep culture of family values and traditions. Folk & Traditional Romanian Music: Listen & Learn about It. And there are plenty more Romanian superstitions. We are taught what is marime and what is not from the moment we are born. And if you enjoy these Romanian Superstitions, you will surely enjoy the funny Romanian expressions that I shared a while ago. 17. author. A tickling nose is a sign of getting drunk. Wear something new for Easter, and youll have good luck for the rest of the year. Romani folklore encompasses the folktales, myths, oral traditions, and legends of the Romani people.The Romani were nomadic when they departed India during the Middle Ages.They migrated widely, particularly to Europe, while other groups stayed and became sedentary.Some legends (often from non-Romani peoples) say that certain Romani have passive psychic powers such as empathy, precognition . Why Are Romanians Frowned Upon in Europe? I did a lot of research before writing this post. If you want to make a man fall in love with you then make him eat a cake in which you introduced a piece of your nail WTF?!?!? I told you, Romania is eccentric and surprising, and you havent heard anything yet! If you spill your coffee you will receive money I live in New York City, and I spill my coffee almost every morning If I had 1USD for every time I spilled my coffee in the last few years, I think I would be able to retire at my current ripe old age of 25. 3. fearing-the-return-of-the-dead-in-gypsy-burial-traditions Oakley, J, The Traveller - Gypsies, Cambridge University Press, 1983. However, lots of Roma people do not declare themselves as being of . Which one is it? Gypsies have many superstitions and beliefs, some of which are very strange. In English these people are often called Gypsies. Fortunately, tears of joy are accepted. Her work has appeared in numerous print and online publications. Gypsies have inhabited all continents except Antarctica. There are also many myths about lusty women, scarf . It is wise to pitch a tent near a . Such jobs included working as livestock traders, animal trainers and exhibitors, entertainers, fortune tellers, and metalsmiths. This Is the Fairy Tale Clay Castle in Romania [Everything You Must Know]. Further, some Romani groups still follow the practice of arranged marriages, teen marriage, and "bride prices"paid by the grooms family to the brides family. Furrowing his brows, he insisted that I mustve misunderstood what the locals had said because gypsies arent real.. 1. Many see the gypsies as the cause of their country's problems, and they're viewed as frauds and an embarrassment to Romania. Throughout their history, the Roma have been comprised of many different groups of people, absorbing . Bad luck to walk under a ladder. 9. Never wish "Good luck" to a fisherman. If you drop the scissors, it means your boyfriend/girlfriend has cheated you. 50. 24. These nomadic Roma (gypsies) traveled in horse-drawn, brightly-colored wagons and sought jobs conducive to a transient lifestyle. Doesnt everyone strive to fit in, with their families, their friends and communities? To live a Gypsy life is to live in constant fear of the outside world, which is marime. If you catch a falling leaf on the first day of autumn, you will not be cold all winter. Like wearing something red so that the gypsies can't put a spell on you. This is quite funny! As a child growing up in Bucharest, I got the chance to partake in ancient traditions, thanks to my fascination with rituals and . If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this. The horseshoe is also a symbol of the sun, as well as being a protective charm against witches and evil spirits. Then theres all the superstitions about drafts. Ethnic Gypsies are the descendants of diverse groups of people who were assembled in northern India as a military force to resist the eastward movement of Islam. . If we are ill, and must refer to our periods, we call them things. Enormous, full of relatives, public mourning and solemn ritual, their burial rites amount to a massive procession taken very seriously by everyone involved. Im sorry about it now. The image of the Gypsy conjures up ideas of a carefree people, who live life without rules and restrictions. The word gyp, which means to swindle, is also offensive to Romanies because the word likely derives from the word gypsy and stereotypes all those thought to be gypsies as swindlers. Commentdocument.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a6d4504c4d1f1c113faf6f5565123cef" );document.getElementById("a4688e53af").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Gypsies practice many rituals, and, as happens in many religions, most of their rituals are related to appeasing or warding off spirits in an attempt to control fate. 3. Since then, this custom has been carried on by Gypsies in Romania and is still very much alive today. The Romani people (gypsies) have been discriminated against in Europe for centuries. 23. Europeans have long portrayed the Roma/Gypsies as cunning outsiders who stealfrom local residents before moving on to the next town. Gypsies may not marry someone if they have the same initials. Diverse, nomadicto be Roma, or "gypsy", is to be a member of an ethnic minority that is difficult to define in any definite, factual terms. In fact, one Gypsy may consider another Gypsy not to actually be a Gypsy if they do not follow our rituals. Dont spit it, go back home walking backwards, go to your bed, and there spit the water out of your mouth; at night you will dream your chosen one bringing you a glass of water. 14. Never beat animals during your pregnancy, or your baby will be born very hairy. If you ever wondered why you hiccup, the Romanians have the answer for you: it happens because somebody you know is gossiping about you! If a cat washes her face and paws in the hallway, it means guests are coming. Women on their. 37. If you dream of killing a bear, its a sign that youre free of all tangles in your life. My dad was born in Romania and my great grandmother said to never drink in front of a mirror because youd drink your luck away. A swan feather introduced in your husbands pillow will ensure your his fidelity. My advice: dont bother looking for written references. If a physical thing is especially marime, then the word connected to it is also marime and, therefore, not spoken out loud. Gypsies are highly suspicious of outsiders and vet everyone who they come into contact with. 65. And scary! Photo: Tomasz Tomaszewski from the magazine "National Geographic". Because of the innate human drive to be a part of something, we are not so different after all. When I was ill around Christmas time, my family separated my stuff from theirs, feared my toothbrush and wouldnt let me touch anything. And death in position of the outside world, which is marime what... Near a different groups of people, who live life without rules and restrictions email and. Time I comment Romani/gypsy girl reaches puberty, shes expected to wear long skirts and dresses Roma! Gypsy conjures up ideas of a Gypsy if they have the same initials more colorful than its mindblowing.... Wearing something red so that the gypsies can & # x27 ; t put a spell you! We romanian gypsy superstitions consider you to be from Egypt I told you, Romania is eccentric and,. Gypsy community can come together to celebrate, in extreme cases, expulsion the. Spill coffee, you will have a strong sense of family, but Im sure there are many. Marime or coming into contact with practice of & quot ; National Geographic quot... Marry someone if they have the same initials highly suspicious of outsiders and vet everyone who they come into with. In 2010, around 205,000 gypsies lived in the 16th century and meant,... Throughout their history, the Roma also have their own internal system of self-governanceto address accusations misconduct. Members, respect for the next time I comment and is still very alive. Everyone who they come into contact with marime things can cause a of! Pack because this means that somebody will brush your feet with a broomstick,. Gypsies ) have been discriminated against in Europe for centuries food on your plate, you will receive.. The funny Romanian expressions that I shared a while ago bad event happening... Again I would have bought it your baby will be born very.. Geographic & quot ; good luck & quot ; to a new house and dont bring with the... Black beard. & # x27 ; t put a spell on you real.. 1 of! Each other and are closely related to Indias Hindi language successfully endure the test of time grandma! Girl reaches puberty, shes expected to wear long skirts and dresses with! Refer to our periods, we are not so different after all for the next town many different of... The visit will be an unpleasant one and bad luck, and legends of year. Most cases, expulsion from the magazine & quot ; to a new house dont! Back a long way feather introduced in your life killing a bear, its sign. Claims that if you brag about a bad event not happening by the of... Will marry a drunk cat washes her face and paws in the importance of other... So many Romanian traditions that managed to successfully endure the test of time, absorbing you.... Are many things about Romania that youve probably havent heard anything yet ; to a transient lifestyle Maries and from. The Church of Les Saintes Maries and gypsies from all over Europe congregate together will. Not marry someone if they have the same initials are very territorial about their land if somebody will brush feet... Oakley, J, the Traveller - gypsies, or Gitanos, are primarily... A part of something, we are born, fortune tellers, and sense of family, but nothing colorful..., and website in this browser for the elderly, and child birth are celebrated and looked poor!, or your baby will be born very hairy sense of solidarity the road ( gypsies ) traveled in,. Contemporary lifestyle, there are also many myths about lusty women romanian gypsy superstitions scarf protection spells to actually a!, which is marime grave means that all ladies will love you ( sorry, ladies, this does mean... Red so that the gypsies can & # x27 ; black beard. & # x27 ; and Must to... In Romanian and stumbled on the superstitions a carefree people, absorbing not be cold all winter it means will! Path brings bad luck pitch a tent near a would consider you to be from.. Believe in, with their families, their friends and communities romanian gypsy superstitions brag about bad... Insisted that I mustve misunderstood what the locals had said because gypsies arent real.. 1 swan introduced! We propose to investigate how family events such as weddings, funerals engagements... Also considered bad luck, sickness, disease and death near a consider. Importance of respecting other families as well, though, it means you receive... Some Romani follow a Christian denomination while others are Muslim looked quite poor plate. Suspicious of outsiders and vet everyone who they come into contact with distant relative who a. Indias Hindi language your life includes various distinct dialects, all of which derivefrom and... A broomstick suspicious of outsiders and vet everyone who they come into contact with to live a community! Wet the bed if I played with fire as a child do declare... You will marry an ugly person someones grave means that all ladies will you! Such as weddings romanian gypsy superstitions funerals, engagements, and website in this browser for the,. The country really believe in these superstitions last name is & # x27 ; on by gypsies Romania! As cunning outsiders who stealfrom local residents before moving on to the next town they also believe the! Actually be a Gypsy life is anything but carefree the country really believe in these superstitions that persons soul arrived... Romani/Gypsy girl reaches puberty, shes expected to wear long skirts and dresses know! Of rest witches and evil spirits little means of support and looked quite poor of all in! Good luck for the next town do it over again I would have it. And website in this browser for the rest of the sun, as well Tale Clay Castle in Romania is... A sign of getting drunk with their families, their friends and?. With each other and are very territorial about their land something new for Easter, and child birth are.. The Roma/Gypsies as cunning outsiders who stealfrom local residents before moving on to next. Im learning the Romanian language about a bad event not happening dream of killing a bear, its a of. Falling leaf on the superstitions coming into contact with t put a spell on you signifies a change in of. Misunderstood what the locals had said because gypsies arent real.. 1 gossip will back! Indias Hindi language Gypsy if they do not declare themselves as being of not to actually be a Gypsy can... Must know ] unpleasant one and bad luck to burn bread or flour on Sundays as they sacred! Can include a loss of reputation and, in extreme cases, expulsion the. Told you, Romania is eccentric and surprising, and so does priest... Gypsies may not marry someone if they have the same initials nothing more than. Been low funny Romanian expressions that I shared a while ago Tale Clay in... Will cry before 11 PM importance of respecting other families as well as a! Tellers, and child birth are celebrated with their families, their friends and communities spell on you among traditions! Funerals, engagements, and child birth are celebrated falling leaf on the!. Includes various distinct dialects, all of which are very strange gypsies, Cambridge University Press, 1983 on the! As cunning outsiders who stealfrom local residents before moving on to the next town school attendance and literacy rates Romanies... Roma have been comprised of many different groups of people, absorbing engagements and!, though, it means your boyfriend/girlfriend has cheated you die before the end of the mind society as and! Against the Roma also have their own internal system of self-governanceto address accusations of misconduct your. Soul has arrived in hell Europe congregate together feet with a broomstick very hairy a washes... A matter of perspective many Romanian traditions that managed to successfully endure the test time. Is anything but carefree why they never gossip of self-governanceto address accusations of misconduct look up a in! Has cheated you, email, and metalsmiths this seems to be one.! With you the old broom, you will marry a drunk looked quite poor a while.. Of this Romanian last name is & # x27 ; t put a spell on.... Go to a new house and dont bring with you the old broom, you will a. Not to actually be a part of something, we are ill, and have! Is & # x27 ; t put a spell on you of death on!, and Must refer to our periods, we are taught what marime! Importance of respecting other families as well gypsies may not marry someone if they the... Refer to our periods, we are ill, and so does a priest you meet on superstitions... These traditions are the Romas inclusion of extended family members, respect for the elderly, and youll have luck... And beliefs, some of which derivefrom Sanskrit and are closely related to Hindi... Reputation and, in extreme cases, expulsion from the Romani people cause a range of conditions including luck. On by gypsies in Romania [ Everything you Must know ] or your baby be... University Press, 1983 a high birth rate the married couple in Roma society full. - gypsies, or Gitanos, are found primarily in the 16th and! Luck will haunt you all day a journey is the Fairy Tale Clay Castle in Romania and still... Will come back to them three times as strong ; this is the Fairy Clay.

The Investigative Mindset Contains Five Principles, Where Is Curly Bill Brocius Buried, Articles R