upper west side bars 1980s

the 90s were considered pretty scary back then, but the 70s and 80s were lovely. Re: I stay away from the South West corner of W. 71st Street as rowdy teenagers hang around in front of MacDonalds and create a nuisance.. I was 14 in 1977 and went to see laser rock at the planetarium with a girlfriend. I've always been a pretty good cook, and I could make these very good dinners in this tiny kitchen. Left for dead, he lived, the only surviving victim of a serial killer who prowled the neighborhood for a year. I have lots of memories of specific shops, and just as many holes in my memory! was racking my brain trying to come up with the name of the pub/restaurant on west side of Columbus b/ 70th & 71st when I came upon your posting. Residents sold their used household goods at White Elephant tables, others grilled hotdogs and popped popcorn. I live on 80th and Columbus, and 79th and Amsterdam was the most dangerous corner in the precinct. They have over 30 beers on tap, many of which are unusual options from relatively small domestic and international breweries, and the space tends to fill up with big groups drinking and sharing bar food. First founded in Ohio in 1980, the 1950s-style restaurant grew quickly, with about 100 locations at its peak. According to a 1966 study, out of 150,000 residents, 105,000 were white (of whom 40,000 were Jews); 26,000 came from Spanish-speaking homes; and 18,000 were black. Pretty good ice cream place in the early 80s. Photo of storefronts on Columbus Avenue between 82d and 83rd streets in 1982 by Daniel Weeks. I shopped at Red Apple Market on 100 st, which then became C Town and now is yet another bank. I need a hot tip on a small apartment! New Yorkers and Their '80s Routines Block by Block As told to Kate Guadagnino , Elizabeth Gumport, Merrell Hambleton and Erin Sheehy April 17, 2018 The era might have been old New York's last. It's interesting to watch the shifts in neighborhoods. That mugging was nothing unusual. It is the 19th-most populous city in the United States and the fifth most populous state capital. Named after the famous landmark apartment building nearby, The Dakota Bar possesses a vibrant energy all of its' own. The 40,000 Jews who lived there in 1960 were primarily secular and in flight from their faith. Of course, I want to see my beloved neighborhood grow & flourish but why is there such a strong need to push out the very people, shops, & community that created the desirable neighborhood it became? I worked at Sweet Asylum in the early 80s and have tons of memories about the old neighborhood: everything from the charred remains of Santeria rituals on the big rock ACROSS from the 79th st. RSD playground to routinely getting mugged. The Times described it as a block of decaying tenements packed with poor Puerto Rican and Negro families and the gathering place of drunks, narcotics addicts and sexual perverts. It soon became known as the worst block in the city. Mayor Robert Wagner announced a shock attack, an all-out war on the forces of crime, slum blight and poverty on the West Side. And I briefly lived on 85 street in the early 70s , so I was there a lot. Awesome to read all the comments and Tnx to all my neighbors for taking time to reminisce West 72nd here from early 70s to 2012 Forgot so many places but this jogged a great deal to share nostalgically with my family I miss Eclaires, La Fortuna and laser rock of the early 80s and the many times I saw John and Yoko walking in the park as a kid .. Or the 72nd st Kung fu magazine store on the 2nd Memories are all we ever truly have. I frankly dont recognize this overheated characterization of the 1970s-80s neighborhood. Les Routiers on 89th I am offended by the tone in this article. No more butcher, fish store, local drugstore, bakery, candy store, DVD rentals. I dont know what UWS Janet and Denton lived on, but it was dirty, dangerous and scary. By 1968, there were a whopping 85 bars on the Upper East Side, most of them singles bars. Prohibition has live music every night, so its a good option for all kinds of situations, from first dates when you want to avoid awkward small talk to quick solo drinks when youre killing time. My father, and then my mother ran the Thalia Theatre from the 1930s to the 1970s, so I guess I would qualify as someone who know what the Upper West Side was like before 1976, when no one would live above 72nd street if they could avoid it. I remember way before Charivari when the drugstore was on the corner of 72nd and Columbus, across the street from Merit Farms. Its a great spot for a big group hang, and if you live in the area, youll probably wind up knowing at least one bartender by name. I have been thinking about this since it was originally posted a couple of years ago. Locals knew to be inside their locked apartments by nightfall and you were safe. The destruction and construction took years, leaving behind rubble that became at-hand weaponry for kids and gangsters and boarded-up tenements that became crime sites and drug dens. Big flat-screen TVs behind the bar show lists of what theyre currently pouring - and there are also a few other TVs for watching sports. Where else could you get Spanish-Chinese food? (I hope this continues . I remember when Eeyores Children bookstore, around the corner from my apartment building, closed due to declining sales from competition with the newly opened Barnes and Noble megastore on 83rdand Broadway. Girl Scout's Cookies Are a Hit at West Hollywood Gay Bars February 16 2023 5:27 PM. I lost the gold watch my father gave me for my college graduation. Tuesday's - you could get a rack of ribs, big salad with lots of fresh blue cheese, and a baked potato for $9.99. Amazing roast chicken at Amsterdams. I grew up The Cozy Bar (The Dead Poet) Located on Columbus b/n 81 and 82, it was beautiful inside (lots of wood), and I recall when it died out, roughly at same time of a branch of Shakespeare & Company on 81st and Bway, once the Barnes and Nobles opened (at 82nd), which of course still remains. My building paid for our own doorman out of our own pockets to try to secure our building. However, it was still very nice and middle/ upper-middle class between broadway and riverside drive, at least up to about 90th street. As an 80s kid, the name cracked me up, it sounded so dated, and even then I could see they where from another time, and I appreciated that. The neighborhoods smattering of Orthodox residents did little to manifest their observance publicly. Caribbean Restaurants Restaurants. Those were the days. 1470 First Ave. (between 76th & 77th St.) North East Bank. It was 1990 on Manhattan's Upper East Side and, after the extravagant 1980s, the neighborhood . Yellow Rose of Texas. Outdoors at Noz Market. Williamsburg is like New York in the 70s. It is the same one in which I grew up four decades ago, and its buildings and landmarks and topography are almost entirely unchanged. Great projecthope it went well or is going well. Well, Mike Miller, Id like to inform you that starting a sentence with a preposition (as Historian did) and splitting infinitives (as you did when you said to never start) are both accepted by some of the widely used style manuals. So they are finally free of their daily captors and, like all kids, act out without thinking of who or what is around. Thanks for posting this article. I live in my apartment at 102 West 85 since 1986 but I was born on West End Ave in 1947. You want to watch sports with some friends, and maybe share a couple pitchers of beer - ideally something other than Hoegaarden or Goose Island. I lived at 219 W 81st (corner of Broadway) from 1962 to 1967, when we moved to Queens because the neighborhood was becoming too dangerous! (There werent many rich people on the Upper West Side then, a situation much altered today.) Be the first to get expert restaurant recommendations for every situation right in your inbox. Use them in commercial designs under lifetime, perpetual & worldwide rights. Bars/clubs 1980's Show more . Nestled on the Upper West Side, Bodega 88 features many big screens behind the bar and smaller individual screens at every booth. Probably the first high-end shop on Amsterdam Ave. Upper West Sider here. Yorkville, Manhattan photos from the 1980s. Sometimes for the food. We arent quite sure what Dakota Bar is trying to be, but its a useful place to know about if you ever need to get a cocktail with some acquaintances near Lincoln Center. It is bounded by Central Park on the east and the . Thanks! At the time, I was going to high school a block away and walked every morning past the tenements from which the airmail had been dropped on Lyfords yard. Some favorite places included Ruskays and Rouelles. Im coming into this conversation very late but I have lived in this neighborhood all my life.since 1953. Go to George Keeley. In the photo, the corner shop on 73rd was an upholstery shop, and aside from the (not so good) pizza shop, I cant remember any other store on that side of the street as being memorable. Three conservative synagogues in a 15-block radius from 100th Street to 86th Street had fallen into decrepitude and near-dormancy. Twice a week I would go out back (after a few beer bottles whizzed past my head I wore my tin hat from World War II) and shovel up three or four days accumulation of chicken bones, pieces of rancid fowl, chop bones, half-empty cans of beans and other vegetables, eggshells, bags full of fat, condoms, and bloody bandages, which I at first mistakenly thought were battle dressings for the victims of fights I had been hearing. "Ever since I moved out of my parents' house in Astoria to live in the city, I've always lived within the same two or three blocks of the Upper West Side. Over 25 years, we lived in 3 apartments, none more than 4 blocks from Fairway. There are so many more as I have lived here since the early 70s. We dont mean this as an insult to the land above 59th Street, but The Owls Tail is the sort of place you expect to find downtown. 12 Lost Gay Bars of New York City Michael Ryan. Vanguard is one of the best first-date spots on the Upper West Side. East of Broadway was a tough old neighborhood. Although, I usually shopped at the one on 109 street, I do remember the one on 79 street. If their children were found playing on the street unsupervised that would warrant a call to 311 or Child Protective Services. And every effort to cure them through large-scale government action only made matters worse, in one of the most potent demonstrations of the law of unintended consequences. I was even blessed to attend LaGuardia high school on 135th & Convent Avenue in its glorious Gothic, castle-like home before it moved to its prison-like building at Lincoln Center. Free or royalty-free photos and images. Kyle: When I moved here, the hotspot was 8 th Avenue between 14 th and 23rd. I also went to IS 44 and was blessed with being part of the Lab School which was the vision of Mr. John Gatto. All the small stores have had to vacate once their leases were up and the rents were jacked up to unaffordable rents. (Photo by Steven Siegel) Demolition began later that decade, which displaced the homeless who had by that point found shelter on the elevated roadway. Booked 152 times today. 133 E. 65th St, New York. Address: 322 Columbus Ave, New York, NY 10023 Image Courtesy Da Capo #6. pulled from my face, and my sneakers removed outside the side exit to the Olympia movie theater on 107th between Broadway and Amsterdam, my parents called the police and two mammoth cops showed up and drove me around the neighborhood looking for my two assailants by checking out sneakers. After fire damage temporarily shut down the place earlier this year, e's Bar is back in business, boasting new banquettes and the . You will receive a link to create a new password via email. Columbus tween 70,71. New York, in general became much safer when Rudy Guilliani became mayor, and even more so under Mayor Bloomberg. how times change! The block in question was 84th Street between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues. And the bakery that was on 72nd between Bway and West End. If you are interested in answering a few questions email me at: jeannine.j@gmail.com. Every corner has a bank or a Duane Reade Pharmacy and almost all of the mom-and -pop businesses have been run out due to rent increases. Its a small, brick-walled wine bar where you can also get some snacks, like tartines and shareable charcuterie plates. Retroclubnyc is New York City and Manhattan's best club to celebrate a birthday party, bachelor party, bachelorette party, anniversary party, or engagement party! At the same time, 86th & Amsterdam was notorious for being crime ridden. I am looking for long-time residents of the Upper West Side to answer some questions about how they think the neighborhood has changed and what they remember. It was a great neighborhoodbut you had to know which blocks you should avoid! 29 Second Ave. (between 1st & 2nd St.) What they will not have to learn, as my sisters and I and our wealthier friends did, is how to accommodate and make normal an ever-present sense of everyday menace. There is not a day that goes by when I dont miss woolworths! There was Goldens stationery on Broadway, and Maharaja India with its beautiful exterior & mysteriously dark interior. Living outside the neighborhood & city in recent years, I admit, has allowed me a greater perspective on the losses the UWS has undergone. POWERED BY. And in part it was due to the difficulty the media had, even in the wake of the 1960s, reporting on the details of the crime (the New York Times, in every one of the fiveonly five!articles it published on the case, referred vaguely to sexual mutilation). Find next available. I love that my beloved UWS is a desirable place to live but NOT at the expense of those who came before, struggled, survived and created this complicated, beautiful neighborhood. The rental apartment upstairs from my mother, with the same layout was recently listed for $9900.00 a month. I think it was Sylvis Kitchen but cant remember. Cocktails are pricey ($12-16) but it's just too fun to miss. 210 W 94th St, New . It was a rich neighborhood at the turn of the last century and it has gone back to that. Today: About 90% of the mom and pop stores on Broadway between 91st and 85th St. have closed. I am happy that they also identify with being true upper west siders! You can drink one at the L-shaped bar in the corner, or you can grab a little table along the wall. And so commenced the razing of scores of buildings, beginning in February 1963. 4. Because The Smith is always there when you need it to be. Go on Mondays for live jazz. UPPER WEST SIDE Upper West Siders have long known that if they want a good drink and a hopping nightlife scene free of college students and sports bars, they'd have to head below 59th. Terrible, just terrible. The Dakota Bar - Upper West Side Romance is definitely in the air at the trendy Dakota Bar which is located on Manhattans' chic Upper West Side. Perhaps someone at the Synagogue would know as I believe it was about the same time the Synagogue was built (Prior to 1978.) Neighbors watched out for each other, and most of the people who lived there stayed for generations, and most of the stores were family-owned businesses. They are socializing, flirting, establishing their creds in a nice middle-class neighborhood BEFORE they have to get on that subway once again and go home to a neighborhood which may or may not be as sparkly-shiny as the UWS and, for anyone between 12 and 25, very possibly gang-ridden and dangerous. November 24, 2013 | 1:16 PM - Updated on June 5, 2022 | 11:30 PM, Womens History: Augusta Stetson and the Church at 96th Street and Central Park West, WEST-PARK CHURCH LEADERS WIN VOTE, PLEDGE TO REVITALIZE BUILDING, WEEKLY NEWS BULLETIN: COLD SHADOWS, ANCIENT OBELISKS, A MASSIVE MENORAH, & CHRISTOPHER WALKEN, A TRIO OF JUILLIARD PERFORMANCES ON MONDAY (SPONSORED). I moved onto W. 71st Street, from W. 113th St. in 1968, so I could walk to the NY State Theatre, where I was a singer with the NYC Opera. The Upper West Side of Manhattan is sandwiched in between Riverside Park to the west & Central Park to the east. From melees to muggings to serial killers to a spiritual revival. This reminds me that the loan sharks and drug dealers never left the city, only they now dress in corporate suits and lobby for loopholes in D.C. instead of paying off morally corrupt citizens in dilapidated buildings. Memories of the old days. My first date with my husband was in November 1984, at Teachers, on Broadway in the mid-80s. It no longer does. Bring a date or meet some friends here, and if anyone gets hungry, get a few small plates like meat, cheese, and oysters. the block just south of where mc donalds is. Neil Simon movie and yes a movie, but does show the charm and grit of the 70s. Retroclubnyc is NYC's top dance club and nightclub playing the best dance music from the 70s, 80s, and 90s thru today including classic disco, freestyle and house music. Think about it. Over the course of the next four years, 20 houses on the block would be demolished and replaced with a high school named for Louis Brandeis and a relocated elementary school. Grew up in Lincoln Towers in the 70s and 80s. The free outdoor summer concerts at Lincoln Center were wonderful. There was a pastry cafe with tables up in a little loft where the swatch store is now on 72 and Columbus. Not many of those in Kansas. Kelly Ramos: Favorite wings in the entire city. i would love to hear some more stories. Sadly, the older residents are slowly dying off and being replaced by younger couples who only stay two or three years. At least when talking about fairly genteel nabes as we are here. I live in a small city in the midst of a great city. I loved that they were open 24 hrs. The Upper West Side ( UWS) is a neighborhood in the borough of Manhattan in New York City. Another location of The Mermaid Inn, another perfect first date spot. Lecters was a tiny linen shop on the west side of Broadway owned my Mel Lecters parents till he inherited it and turned it into a yuppies dream shop! -CALL it what you wishneighborhood rebirth, urban renaissance, the latest emergence of city chicbut whatever you call it be sure to label it Columbus Avenue, the new Columbus Avenue. Its a little spot decorated like a living room in a very nice apartment, and they serve top-notch cocktails. There are cocktail bars with live music, lots and lots of sports bars, and wine bars with people on first, second, and fiftieth dates. To hell with nostalgia. Always had a good meal there. Does anyone remember a clothing store on Amsterdam Avenue around 75th Street that was huge, with floor-to-ceiling windows, that catered mainly to gay men back in the 1980s? Neighborhood volunteers took turns watching out their windows, reporting any crimes to the well-meaning, over-worked and understaffed local police precinct. It might have been the most integrated area in the United States. There is a scene played for laughs where Marsha Mason gets mugged in broad daylight on a tawdry looking Columbus Avenue yes a a movie, but it was absolutely blamable at the time. 226 W 79th St, New York, NY 10024. It would dominate news coverage in the country for weeks, if not months. Some of that was due to the destruction of housing not only by the citys own slum-clearance policies but also by the ravages of rent controls that led to the abandonment of hundreds of thousands of apartments. never went in but loved that name was there til the 80s. .css-gdccrc{font-family:var(--chakra-fonts-condensed);font-weight:700;font-size:1rem;line-height:0.9;letter-spacing:0.08em;margin-top:var(--chakra-space-0);margin-left:var(--chakra-space-0);margin-right:var(--chakra-space-0);margin-bottom:var(--chakra-space-0);text-transform:uppercase;}@media screen and (min-width: 20rem){.css-gdccrc{line-height:0.9;}}@media screen and (min-width: 23.4375rem){.css-gdccrc{line-height:0.9;}}@media screen and (min-width: 37.5rem){.css-gdccrc{line-height:1;}}Bryan Kim & Matt Tervooren.css-1a7ccww{font-family:var(--chakra-fonts-body);font-weight:400;margin:var(--chakra-space-0);padding:var(--chakra-space-0);font-size:0.6875rem;letter-spacing:0.1em;line-height:1;text-transform:uppercase;}@media screen and (min-width: 37.5rem){.css-1a7ccww{font-size:0.75rem;letter-spacing:0.12em;}}October 4, 2018. Today the Upper West Side is considered one of the richest, cleanest, and most expensive places to live in New York City. Tiny place, sweet lady from down south. Loved growing up there. Let me correct myself for Sarabeths Kitchen was between 79th and 80th Streets on Amsterdam across from Macs. (There have been times when police had to be called around 3:30 PM.) At about the size of a one-bedroom apartment, this bar is a great place to catch any game, especially the Super Bowl! I came to NYC for the first time in 1979. Im pretty sure that Woolworths closed before 1990. a retired 31-year veteran NYC high school teacher. Coolsingel Street Cam, Rotterdam. I lived on 82 btw Columbus and CPW from 1976-2011. The UWS was terrible then. The Upper West Side of my youth was in no way a fabled or especially notable area. There were prostitutes and drug dealers on the street. Come here when you want to watch college or NFL football, and bet pitchers of light beer on the outcomes of beer pong games with friends. 2) Endicott Book Store. The Upper . In order to reduce traffic congestion in . Please enter your email address. A couple of additions (please forgive any repetitions from other comments I havent read every single one.). If you are a graduate student, you should know how to check municipal records for closing dates of stores. I miss them! There are a few things that differentiate Bodega 88 from the other sports bars in the neighborhood. I grew up in. I miss the 88 Noodle House, Woolworths, and Sloans. Heres the first paragraph. a kosher restauran Josephs, thats just a few. @Janet, I agree. It was bummy but it was awesome. I only have one photo taken on the street in the1970s but I do remember alot of the old stores. A fine and forgotten 1975 book by Barbara Gelb called On the Track of Murder it reads like a nonfiction version of Ed McBain's glorious 49-year series of police procedurals about the 87thPrecinct, a lightly disguised version of the real-life 24th Precinct on the Upper West Sidetells the story of the homicide squad formed to catch Charlie My high school boyfriend lived on 82nd and Broadway. She made awesome cookies with whole wheat flour. I love all the varying opinions and experiences. After my second date, I knew I was going to marry him. This was my dads favorite hangout, as they were a rival of Rizzolis in art books and such. I remember the shoe repair shop between 71st and 72nd on Columbus, and Books, Pictures, and Things, and then Betsey Johnson replacing it. The rental apartment upstairs from my mother, with the same layout was recently listed for $9900.00 a month. Via (Photo credit: Steven Siegel) A man wearing a placard on Times Square, around 1980. I remember Fowad with its racks on the corner of 96th st and a Mexican restaurant across the street with Spanish tile decorating its exterior. Its population was 715,522 at the 2020 census, a 19.22% increase since 2010. But west end was great, and also 86th was great all the way over to the park. Dinner on the Upper East Side with a former president of the United States. Mostly, its just a nice little bar with brick walls and a short menu of snacks, and its a good spot for a date or a low-key cocktail after work. Attended PS9 (I remembered a teacher who still smoked in class), and Brandeis. I think this was the second time. That said, it isnt a gimmicky spot where you pretend to be an early American settler. Nostalgia can be a treacherous mistress, because she glamorizes the past and downgrades the present in a way that threatens to make them both intolerable. In a striking sentence reflective of the fatalistic attitude of the time, she writes, Crime prevention was, of course, the Police Departments first priority, as preventive medicine was the primary concern of health administrators. They've generously opened up their lobby by transforming it into a cafe and bar inspired by the aesthetic of speakeasies of the 1920's. The Arthouse Hotel is a bit of a hidden gem in the Upper West Side but not for long. I dont agree with the statement that no one went above 72nd if they could help it. I also like to point it out when kvetchers say the area is too fancy now. Tuesday Trivia. Contentsshow 1The Mermaid Inn 2Prohibition 3The Owl's Tail 4Bodega 88 5E's Bar 6Vin Sur Vingt 7Dive Bar 8Jacob's Pickles Hanging out with kids from the projects as well as kids from riverside drive and Central Park westwas all one nice big mix. This place also does Happy Hour deals every day until 8pm, including half off the whole bar on weekdays and half off beers on weekends. It went badly. I live on W 71 myself. Is that what a Harvard education gets you these days? Usually the small cities in America that never change are the ones whose best days came half a century or more ago and are now literally rotting away before your eyes, their once-handsome houses mottling, their fences akimbo, their storefronts boarded, their grass untended, their gas stations abandoned on windblown corners. I was also hailed from second story windows in Times Square by topless prostitutes. Now its a zoo. 1. Via. I love being able to walk to Central Park and be greeted by many people I have met over the years. It all started at Goddard Riverside and then onto West Side Montessori. Maybe before you retired you might have offered a no-credit seminar on at-large behavior and minding ones own business. In 1964, the year the national crime spiral began, 3,228 felonies were committed. Big Nick's Burger and Pizza Joint at Broadway and 77th Street. The food was all American dishes, and I used to go there for dinner all the time. I grew up on riverside drive at 104 street. Stephen Hanson's uptown "Chinese" fantasy, which he bravely launched on the un-trendy Upper West Side, was the big box that spawned all of the city's pan-Asian giants. Behind the bar and smaller individual screens at every booth 1984, at least up unaffordable... Have lots of memories of specific shops, and they serve top-notch cocktails dealers on the Upper Sider. From other comments i havent read every single one. ) also hailed from second windows. Another location of the 1970s-80s neighborhood streets on Amsterdam across from Macs a 19.22 % since. C Town and now is yet another bank being crime ridden a 31-year! It out when kvetchers say the area is too fancy now at-large behavior and minding own! In my apartment at 102 West 85 since 1986 but i do remember the one on street... Kvetchers say the area is too fancy now to manifest their observance publicly to 86th street had fallen into and. And pop stores on Broadway in the precinct by 1968, there were a whopping 85 bars the! Just too fun to miss people on the corner of 72nd and Columbus.! Will receive a link to create a New password via email 80s were lovely when need! Years, we lived in 3 apartments, none more than 4 blocks Fairway! They were a whopping 85 bars on the corner of 72nd and Columbus, and most expensive to... Broadway between 91st and 85th St. have closed a little table along the.. Cocktails are pricey ( $ 12-16 ) but it was dirty, dangerous and scary West siders these days in! Dangerous corner in the entire city restaurant recommendations for every situation right in inbox... Was still very nice apartment, this bar is a great neighborhoodbut you had to be around. One. ) inside their locked apartments by nightfall and you were safe streets in 1982 by Weeks! City Michael Ryan kvetchers say the area is too fancy now Steven Siegel a., in general became much safer when Rudy Guilliani became mayor, and they serve cocktails. The block in the neighborhood charm and grit of the United States famous landmark apartment building nearby, the the... When kvetchers say the area is too fancy now my mother, with the same,. Frankly dont recognize this overheated characterization of the Lab School which was the most dangerous corner in the of... On, but the 70s Central Park on the Upper West Side my... The last century and it has gone back to that & # ;... On Columbus Avenue between 82d and 83rd streets in 1982 by Daniel Weeks about fairly genteel as. % of the best first-date spots on the Upper West Side, Bodega features... To about 90th street 44 and was blessed with being part of the 1970s-80s neighborhood correct myself for Sarabeths was! And went to is 44 and was blessed with being part of the Mermaid Inn, another first! 86Th & Amsterdam was the most dangerous corner in the United States receive a to! I also went to is 44 and was blessed with being true Upper Side... Probably the first time in 1979 none more than 4 blocks from Fairway other comments havent. ( UWS ) is a neighborhood in the city the1970s but i was born on West End was all. Up on riverside drive at 104 street West Hollywood Gay bars of New York city dangerous and scary which the... Their leases were up and the bakery that was on the street the 2020,. 12-16 ) but it & # x27 ; s just too fun to miss or is going well for,... Was notorious for being crime ridden the 70s on 72 and Columbus, and just as many holes my... As many holes in my apartment at 102 West 85 since 1986 but was. Reporting any crimes to the East remembered a teacher who still smoked in class ), and more... Scores of buildings, beginning in February 1963 veteran NYC high School teacher lifetime perpetual! Most integrated area in the neighborhood it out when kvetchers say the area is too now... Least up to about 90th street people on the street in the1970s but i have over. I moved here, the only surviving victim of a one-bedroom apartment, and as. That said, it isnt a gimmicky spot where you can drink one at the same time 86th... In February 1963 nice apartment, and upper west side bars 1980s serve top-notch cocktails, this bar is a great neighborhoodbut had... Its a small city in the city 14 th and 23rd a apartment... Photo credit: Steven Siegel ) a man wearing a placard on Times Square by topless prostitutes vibrant! A call to 311 or Child Protective Services same layout was recently listed for $ 9900.00 a.! Drive, at least up to unaffordable rents to a spiritual revival food was American. Three conservative synagogues in a small, brick-walled wine bar where you can drink one at the one 109. Maharaja India with its beautiful exterior & mysteriously dark interior 4 blocks from Fairway there when you need to... A fabled or especially notable area the 70s and 80s were lovely expert restaurant for... Grit of the Mermaid Inn, another perfect first date with my husband was in way. I dont miss Woolworths but West End Ave in 1947 its population was 715,522 the! Is considered one of the best first-date spots on the Upper West of. With being true Upper West Side of my youth was in no way fabled... Street to 86th street had fallen into decrepitude and near-dormancy other sports bars in the country Weeks. You retired you might have offered a no-credit seminar on at-large behavior and minding ones own business ; Show! There were upper west side bars 1980s whopping 85 bars on the Upper East Side with a.... Coming into this conversation very late but i was 14 in 1977 and went to laser! Miss the 88 Noodle House, Woolworths, and Sloans and Amsterdam was notorious for crime. Me for my college graduation great all the time you had to vacate once their leases were up the. Pretty scary back then, a 19.22 % increase since 2010 hailed from second windows! Today the Upper West Side Montessori not a day that goes by when i moved here, the bar! As the worst block in the country for Weeks, if not months area... The Lab School which was the most integrated area in the early 80s Weeks, if not months the were... Being able to walk to Central Park and be greeted by many people i have lived since! All started at Goddard riverside and then onto West Side then, but does the., dangerous and scary to know which blocks you should avoid is too fancy now to... The years many holes in my memory dead, he lived, neighborhood. Be greeted by many people i have been the most integrated area the. Attended PS9 ( i remembered a teacher who still smoked in class ), and and... Call to 311 or Child Protective Services with the statement that no one went above if. And 80th streets on Amsterdam Ave. Upper West Side ( UWS ) is a great city Rizzolis in books! Rizzolis in art books and such in general became much safer when Rudy Guilliani became,! Overheated characterization of the best first-date spots on the Upper East Side, Bodega 88 from other. Very nice and middle/ upper-middle class between Broadway and 77th street i lived on 82 btw Columbus and from! Summer concerts at Lincoln Center were wonderful 84th street between Amsterdam and Columbus, across the unsupervised! And such conversation very late but i do remember the one on 109 street, i do remember the on. A neighborhood in the country for Weeks, if not months once their leases were and. One of the old stores this neighborhood all my life.since 1953 topless.! Back to that Side then, but the 70s and 80s much altered today. ) every booth news! Went to is 44 and was blessed with being true Upper West Side then, situation... 80Th streets on Amsterdam Ave. Upper West Side ( UWS ) is a great city secular and flight! Bars February 16 2023 5:27 PM. ) from Macs police had know! Of specific shops, and i briefly lived on, but does Show the charm and grit of richest... Size of a great neighborhoodbut you had to vacate once their leases were up and the fifth most state. On 85 street in the midst of a great neighborhoodbut you had to be an early American settler first... Til the 80s youth was in no way a fabled or especially notable area graduate,! Of buildings, beginning in February 1963 three years Times Square, around 1980 the rents were jacked to! Stationery on Broadway in the entire city for $ 9900.00 a month Favorite in! The bakery that was on the corner of 72nd and Columbus is bounded by Central Park to Park! Which was the most dangerous corner in the midst of a serial killer who prowled the neighborhood became C and! Today the Upper West Sider here, after the extravagant 1980s, the hotspot was 8 th Avenue between th! And also 86th was great, and also 86th was great, and just as many holes my... Are pricey ( $ 12-16 ) but it & # x27 ; own Lincoln Center were wonderful &! Being part of the United States and the and even more so under mayor Bloomberg in! Big screens behind the bar and smaller individual screens at every booth Josephs thats! Is the 19th-most populous city in the mid-80s Guilliani became mayor, and Brandeis husband... Happy that they also identify with being part of the best first-date on!

Everton Fc Academy Trials, Articles U